Superglue Removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil p":3j9pty1r said:
Unfortunatley it was superglue (Soudal)

Honestly I still cringe when I think about it.

You want to see the state of the top fascia boards, they're still covered with heavy runs so it looks as though I'm going to have to replace them, another extra cost for me.

Normally I'm very astute when it comes to getting anyone in to do work for me, always get a few quotes in and try to find out what they're work is like etc etc, however on this occasion I just told him to do it, wouldn't care when I looked further into it, aswell as them doing a c**p job I think I was well overcharged (£550), but that was my fault as I was stupid.

I basically had the old covering removed from my 3 sided bay, approx 3 x 1 metres, as it looked like a mixture of lead and roofing felt, mind it never leaked but thought I had better get it done just incase anything ever happened to me it would be left to my daughter to sort and didn't like the thought of her being ripped off, how ironic!!

So the roof was stripped (lead disappeared) in about 10 minutes and the new OSB boarding on, and the EPDM rubber on top of this, however when he cut the board he cut into my top fascia, took the woodgrain finish off it with the saw, therefore it was showing the white PVC underneath.

Gaffer showed up and when I complained he said he would renew it, so off he went, however he brought back the wrong colour so I asked for the old stuff to be put back, but I knew I would have to replace it, but at this stage I just wanted shot of them, nearly forgot, this was after he got it all finished and was ready to leave and the whole lot came crashing t the ground, it only I had a camera.

He had only used mastic to try and bond instead of some form of adhesive.

Hence the offending superglue was used with pins to hold it until it went off.

Don't even want the 20 year guarantee it comes with as I wouldn't have them back anywhere near my property.

Thing I'm most annoyed about is that I could have done it myself in around a day taking my time but just didn't want to run the risk of it leaking and thought I would get the "proffesionals" in!

I'll just put it down to one of those things and it's taught me a valuble lesson.

Rant over.
Regards
Phil

Wow SO sorry to read that, that's just a litany of failure after failure.

You might want to consider writing them a letter complaining on the state of it, and why it got that way in the first place, alongside asking them to return the lead as you had not given permission for them to dispose of it (lead flashing is handy for all sorts of things).

Tell them you will be seeking FULL reimbursement on the grounds that you have no faith that the work carried out will last the duration of the "20 year guarentee" as it had already fallen to the ground once when they used the wrong fixing system, and that superglue is STILL NOT the correct adhesive to use - the first freeze you get and the bond will break, as pointed out it's very weak to shear forces.

You might get lucky and the gaffer might have some sort of conscience and give you the £550 back. If he doesn't, send that letter again with an added paragraph that you'll be taking this to the small claims court - which will add fees and your time etc to that sum you are seeking - several hundred pounds at least.

If you were me, you might want to remind him that social media is a very powerful tool nowadays both for advertising and for passing on less flattering information about local traders. Happens in my local FB page regularly warning ppl about traders such as him but I get your situation is different, remote area, physically disadvantaged etc.

People write off small(ish) sums of money paid for rubbish work all the time - and that's how these scum survive and making people distrust honest traders like myself.

But again, that's just my viewpoint, slightly biased as it is.

Seriously if I lived closer I'd offer to help, I take regular 1 or 2 week breaks from my current main project (on one right now) makes me mad when good ppl get taken like this, I'd bet money your sitation was discussed between them like "doesn't matter, what's he gonna do? look at him".

scum.

(edit: typos and grammer)

I know full well that it's quite easy for "back seat drivers" to tell others to push their claims for shoddy work, and I also know it's not quite so simple when someone is in your sort of position phil, but I must say that within the limits of what's practical and realistic for you I do rather agree with rafzetter's stance on this.

Good luck if you can push the contractor.

Really unsettling to think about shoddy changers claiming to be professionals. I'd be interested to hear what steps people take to source reliable workmen, I always wonder how reliable traders websites are (things like trust a trader), hard to know what to believe.

Morning Guys,

This isn't a fly by night company, it's a big one actually, massive website etc, in fact one of the reasons I gave him the job is that he done a total re roof of my next door neighbour and done a really good job.

He's also on check a trade getting 10/10 reviews, and to be fair the actual job of the bay roof is of decent quality, although overcharged, but that was my stupid fault, it's the damage to the bay that's got to me, and his attitude, and if it wasn't for the latter I wouldn't feel so bad and just put it down to experience.

I have sucessfully taken someone to the small claims and won in the past, however in this case, and although I know I would win hands down, it's not worth the hassle and I get the feeling this chap is not to be messed about with, even though I'll not be intimidated by anyone and the thought of taking him on doesn't frighten me one bit.

Just think for the price of a new piece of trim and I few hours work it's not worth the grief, albeit I do totally agree with the last few comments, hence I said a few postings back I believe in Karma and hope one day he meets it, which I'm sure he will.

Thanks for your concerns though, it is appreciated.

Regards
Phil

phil p":3snycbcs said:
Morning Guys,

This isn't a fly by night company, it's a big one actually, massive website etc, in fact one of the reasons I gave him the job is that he done a total re roof of my next door neighbour and done a really good job.

He's also on check a trade getting 10/10 reviews, and to be fair the actual job of the bay roof is of decent quality, although overcharged, but that was my stupid fault, it's the damage to the bay that's got to me, and his attitude, and if it wasn't for the latter I wouldn't feel so bad and just put it down to experience.

I have sucessfully taken someone to the small claims and won in the past, however in this case, and although I know I would win hands down, it's not worth the hassle and I get the feeling this chap is not to be messed about with, even though I'll not be intimidated by anyone and the thought of taking him on doesn't frighten me one bit.

Just think for the price of a new piece of trim and I few hours work it's not worth the grief, albeit I do totally agree with the last few comments, hence I said a few postings back I believe in Karma and hope one day he meets it, which I'm sure he will.

Thanks for your concerns though, it is appreciated.

Regards
Phil

Perfect, big company with a facebook page - take some photos and give honest feedback, saying they got hired because of good work done next door, but it must have been that fitters day off, because what you got isn't up to the same standard.

Maybe throw in that the first time it was fitted it fell off!

These social media tools give companies to crow about how good they are - but are just as useful for calling them out when they don't live up to thier advertised standard.

Shouldn't take long to do, and might even make them a bit more careful with the next customer.

If they have twitter - double it up on there as well - tweets can't be deleted by account holders, whereas negative facebook posts they don't like, can.

Oh and check a trade - a negative feedback there will cost them money, and certainly get thier attention, otherwise what's the point of that website?

(Yes I'm a bit of "Social Justice Warrior" - but sometimes it really is warranted).

Back