Super tough finish for wooden worktop required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a customer who really wants wooden worktops, I've tried to talk her out of it but she is still keen, and this particular kitchen would be quite easy to do in wood.

What I'm looking for is a finish which is NOT oil. Some kind of varnish would be good, but it obviously needs to be very tough. Heat resistance isn't a big issue here, mostly we are looking for resistance to water splashes from an undermounted sink

Any ideas?

BTW, we are NOT looking for an oil finish

Thanks

John

How about a water based floor varnish. Should be pretty hard wearing.

cheers

George

John,
have you considered Patina?
I have it on a dining room table and it can certainly withstand spills.
It will cope well with heat as well although I would always recomend a trivet under cooking pans.

http://www.palacechemicals.co.uk/WEBSTUFF/1781700.pdf

Available from Screwfix and elsewhere.

A search around here will bring up a number of favourable comments

Andy

Diamond Hard Floor Varnish.......I've had it on my hall floor for about 6 years now and its just about ready for a top up coat. Everything and I mean every thing gets dumped in the hall so its not trailed into the rest of the house. This stuff has put up with me renovating the whole house, two young kids, one wife and a couple of dogs!

http://www.ronseal.com/prodshow.asp?sec ... =52&gID=24

SimonA

Hmmm.. I reckon an oil finish might be best John... :wink:

I agree with Simon, Dulux Diamond Glaze. Water-based so it can be applied in the customer's home (and refinished in the future if required without stinkibg the house out), hard wearing, to quote:

"Diamond Glaze
Maximum durability medium build water-based lacquer, available in gloss and satin finishes

For all high wear interior wood surfaces, especially floors
up to 10x tougher than conventional varnish
Water based, quick drying - recoat in 2-4 hours
One pack system - reduces waste
Formulation Water-based
Touch dry 1-2 hours
Recoatable 2-4 hours
Coverage Smooth wood: 25m? / litre / coat (normally 2-3 coats on new / bare wood)
Thinning This product should not be thinned.
Pack sizes 1L, 2.5L, 5L"

It isn't cheap, but I've done shop floors with this stuff and it just lasts and lasts. The facts PDF is here

Scrit

what about pv67, get it from brewers or something, it comes in 1lts and 5lts gloss and satin, brilliant stuff, sells like hot cakes, everybody ive spoken to loves the stuff. :?:

Back