Super-recognisers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off-topic, but stare at the flashing green dot for a while and then consider how much you trust the evidence of your own eyes...

MotionBlindnessf.gif

Motion Induced Blindness if you're curious.

I got 12. I'll do the bigger test when I have a quiet20 mins spare. I heard the article on R4 myself and was talking to my father in law about it last night. I can send him the link now. Thanks Steve.

Interesting KevM, I reckon this is why drivers don't see motorcycles and bicycles, SMIDSY. They don't look properly and their MIB prevents them seeing the two wheelers. Lights and hi-viz won't help. Look at the yellow dots and they don't dissappear.

mseries":38v1zus2 said:
Interesting KevM, I reckon this is why drivers don't see motorcycles and bicycles, SMIDSY. They don't look properly and their MIB prevents them seeing the two wheelers. Lights and hi-viz won't help. Look at the yellow dots and they don't dissappear.

mseries - I think you've hit the nail on the head. There's no clear understanding of the process except that it appears to occur when we concentrate our foveal vision on a particular task, then our ability to cope with secondary/peripheral tasks goes to pot.

Oh, and Graham, don't worry about the address for the envelope, I've already received your electronic bank transfer - every little helps! :ho2

n0legs":3ed3jitm said:
14/14.
Dad was a policeman, must be in the blood.

I got 14/14 too, always wanted to be a policeman. I'm wasted here when the good people of gotham need me..

only 9/14 however it's not a reasonable test. the whole point of the cctv is that you can PAUSE IT or take a still, and take as long as you need to define any distinguishing features like birthmarks, nostril / eye / eyebrow shape etc.

As good and interesting as this is, I very much doubt they are suddenly going to start employing these "super recognisers" in their live camera feed monitoring teams, or expect them to be able to spot a known wanted offender when seen by a camera for only a few seconds based on a memorized previous mugshot, so I'm not entirely sure what they are trying to achieve by this.

rafezetter":3nzm64qx said:
only 9/14 however it's not a reasonable test.

Of course it's a reasonable test. How long do you think a bag snatcher, mugger, etc is going to hang around waiting for everyone to get a good look at him.

I got Dad to have a go earlier, 14/14 8) and he's been retired for nearly 20 years. I tell you, it's in the blood :lol:

phil.p":23p1ioxv said:
I'm 62. I can recognise people I know to be big women's pee things instantly. I can recognise my friends instantly. Job done - no need for a test. Happy Xmas to all my readers. :D

:lol:
Merry Xmas Phil :D

Happy Christmas to everybody as well, but it's not really a test, it's research into cognitive potential, they're not trying to recruit monitor watchers, they're trying to find out just how good at the task the human brain can be.

Of course that all depends on your level of paranoia, they could be big business finding out which savants can defeat their software and compiling a hit-list of threats to 'remove'.

Look out nolegs, and nolegs' dad.

Happy Christmas to everybody as well, but it's not really a test, it's research into cognitive potential, they're not trying to recruit monitor watchers, they're trying to find out just how good at the task the human brain can be.

Of course that all depends on your level of paranoia, they could be big business finding out which savants can defeat their software and compiling a hit-list of threats to 'remove'.

Look out nolegs, and nolegs' dad.

n0legs":164gch97 said:
rafezetter":164gch97 said:
only 9/14 however it's not a reasonable test.

Of course it's a reasonable test. How long do you think a bag snatcher, mugger, etc is going to hang around waiting for everyone to get a good look at him.

I got Dad to have a go earlier, 14/14 8) and he's been retired for nearly 20 years. I tell you, it's in the blood :lol:

I agree a bag snatcher isn't going to wait around, but then what's the odds of a "super recogniser" being around at the time, and that's what I'm getting at. In the case of eyewitness statements on such events they will get ones that will be either more or less accurate, so unless law enforcement introduces some sort of "qualification" you can show to a policeman that verifies you to be a super recogniser and therefore your eyewitness statement of description should be considered "solid", then the only logical way to regularly utilise a super recognisers "skill" is from recorded footage and stills.

But even then any statement from a super recogniser that "camera still X = mugshot Y" under current law would be inadmissable in court as it's not an eyewitness confirmation, unless as previously stated they intend to form some sort of "super recogniser task force" that is a civilian arm of the police force who are then regarded by the law courts as an "expert witness" (just like top scientists in a particular field and other such experts) despite not actually having been at the scene.

So I repeat my previous statement.

rafezetter":1ge2cpuf said:

#-o
In the words of the Joker "Why so serious?"

Actually I wouldn't mind being a card carrying member of the Super Recognisers. I wonder what my costume could be? I'd have to master changing in super quick time inside a telephone box, now there's a problem straight away. Not many phone boxes these days, pipper!
I bet we'll have a super secret meeting place and use code words for access. I'll have to have a dedicated line installed so the commissioner can get me day and night. I wonder if they'll give me a fuel card or will there be a company car, hope it's fast.
Oh wow !! I can't wait, it'll be great. I can see it now........
"By day he's a lowly electrical engineer, but by night he's Recognizo"
Or "If you need something recognising call 0800 RECOGNISE"
I've decided I really don't want a red suit, I don't look good in red. Maybe a nice blue and a mask, yea I'll definitely need a mask.
Oh oh, and a utility belt, I'll need one of those. And maybe a theme tune as well, I could play it from a loud speaker when I'm pulling up to a job.
"Friend of justice enemy of crime,
Super recogniser will spot you every time,
Don't try to run or try to hide,
I've got you in my sights,
Your a$$ is fried,
You will have to pay,
I can spot you from a mile away"

It's only a first draft but I think it's a good start.

Merry Freaking Christmas Rafe my serious friend :D

Latest posts

Back