Super glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
Anyone else find they can never put their hands on the de-bonder when they do a trick like this ?

001-1.jpg

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

At least i can still put the kettle on #-o ](*,) :duno:

Doug.

Hi, Doug

Just use the big saw blade in the background :wink:

Pete

Nail varnish remover = acetone. Good remover.

The first time I ever used superglue was on a big floor standing tape drive. I finished up stuck to the read/write heads and just out of reach of my tool case. No-one anywhere around. It took me better part of 10 mins to free myself! Wot-a-twit I felt!

Superglue was designed to stick wounded Yank soldiers back together in Vietnam. That's why it sticks so very well to fingers!

One way of getting the stuff to stick very well to wood is to damp the wood first and the best way to keep it is in the fridge

Don't people feel it sticking, then pull fingers away/apart?

I've been using superglue since the late seventies and never managed to stick myself to anything.

Which is not to say I've managed to keep the superglue off the fingers, I haven't!!! The worst offender is using superglue in cracks then rubbing it over with shavings to remove the excess - I usually end up with a thin hard coating of glue over my finger tips after that (and would leave no fingerprints!!!) The residue usually comes off in the shower/bath.

I had a member of staff that superglued his hand to the perspex cover of a large pen plotter whilst trying to repair a crack in same cover. This happened at night when there were few people about in the building and before the days of mobile phones. Stuck to the plotter, he couldn't reach the phone on the desk the other side of the room, or his tool kit beside the phone. He had to wait three quarters of an hour for the security guard to come by on his rounds to help him. The guard unscrewed plotter cover and my staff member then walked a few hundred yards down the road to the hospital casualty dept for help. Needless to say he had forgotten completely about the bottle of de-bonder lurking in a cupboard in his office!!!

Poor chap was the butt of many office jokes for some time to come.

Kym

Neverr stuck my hands to anything, but on the very first use of my pen mandrel i managed to glue one barrel to it, i forgot to take my potato to the workshop with me.

:oops:

Something else to watch out for is using activator when some of the glue has run down your finger. You can get a nasty burn that way :shock:

Doug

Good job it wasn't yesterday :lol: :lol:
Ann says she has a good carving knife :D :D

Malcolm

tekno.mage":2m0tann3 said:
Don't people feel it sticking, then pull fingers away/apart?

No :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In my defense :whistle: i had noticed a very small split & thought, that`s just the job for that new thin superglue i`d just bought.

Well THIN is the word, i tipped the bottle & before i had time to drop the wood, it was stuck. Luckily (if that`s the right word :lol: ) my thumb didn`t stick.

I knew i had some de-bonder, & 20 minutes latter i was re-sanding & polishing the pen :D.

so at least i didn`t have to resort to the saw blade or carving knife :shock: 8-[

Cheers.

Doug.

I don't use superglue. I find it lets you down when you want it to stick and stick like a dung to a blanket when you don't want it to!!!

Bloody stuff.....

Richard

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Most of my superglue use is sticking back cuts to my fingers and it's brilliant for keens on your thumbs.

My wife (a nurse) says it isn't sterile but I've never had an infected cut and it works every time. Stings a bit though :cry:
I carry a bottle in my van 1st aid kit as well :)

My golfing partner who ia a GP says there is little difference between the high bond stuff I buy and the glue they use in theatre and A&E to stick people together after accidents.

My daughter (also a nurse) was present at a "C" birth recently and they successfully stuck the sizeable wound in the mothers' abdomen - no stitches :roll:

cheers

bob

Back