Super bargain tool + new shiny shiny

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my good bargain hunting experience. I got an excellent condition all iron 1942 egg-beater drill for 0.99p!

IMG_0345.jpg

Oh, and a couple of shiny new AI dovetail chisels - which are fantastic!

:mrgreen: :tool: :tool: :tool:

99p , you were robbed :p

Not really , was it a boot sale job ?

what about the chisels ?

Always nice to get some new Toyools :p

The little drill was a midnight ebay special - I was browsing for scrub planes in the collectors/tools section and saw this with a few minutes to go with no bids, thought I'd put a cheeky bid in, and I won it :)

The dovetail chisels are really nice - much lighter than regular AI bench chisels, and the handels are much better than the large bulbous Mk1 versions. They don't have as much finish on them, and are much smaller, and bit thinner which makes them much more wieldly.

They cut very well. I'm only using them as parers, and the ultra thin edges are perfect for getting into the angles of the dovetails and cleaning it all up. Together with the AI bevel edges, these make a great combo.

I got hold of a couple of the AI 1/4" fishtail skews from Matthew...not used them yet, but very nice chisels - Rob

woodbloke":ljfj8w4f said:
I got hold of a couple of the AI 1/4" fishtail skews from Matthew...not used them yet, but very nice chisels - Rob

Let us know how you get on with them. I did look at them and considered getting a pair, but wasn't sure they would be any more useful than these square edged dovetail chisels, as despite their non-skewedness, they get into the corners really well.

Good to see you're pleased with that handrill. It looks to be in excellent condition. One of the most underrated tools in the workshop, it's first rate for small diameter holes and situations where total control is necessary.

Colin I have the AI dovetail chisel set and still use my pair of Kirschen skews for getting in angled corners

I used to own a pair of the fishtails and they were great (sadly they were stolen). The AI Dovetail chisels are quite thin and so they will flex if you put too much behind them. Now if I can just get the insurance company sorted out...

special bone":3rbohty3 said:
I used to own a pair of the fishtails and they were great (sadly they were stolen). The AI Dovetail chisels are quite thin and so they will flex if you put too much behind them. Now if I can just get the insurance company sorted out...

I have noticed that they can bend, but I use this to my advantage to kind of bend the bevel into the cut, and the energy built up in the bending then helps drive it through the paring cut. I'm really enjoying using them.

Latest posts

Back