Suitable wood for turning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
As I`m new to turning I wondered if its possible to use any type of wood for turning or are some more suited than others or is it really just trial end error? Does the use dictate the wood eg `fruit tree` nice for a vase but for a bowl?? also do some timbers sand up/finish better than others.
Sorry if these have been covered before.
Regards
Steve

Hi Steve, if you've been watching Pete's (Bodrighy) threads you'll have seen that he uses what's available to him... especially if it's free!

It's definitely the way to go! In other threads (Chas, TEP, Powertool to name but three...) you'll be able to see the various woods and the uses to which they've been put.

As a beginner I'd recommend you try just about anything you can get your hands on... do bear in mind the issue of toxicity with some woods (e.g.Yew) and always ensure the wood is sound... no cracks slpits shakes that may cause them to disintegrate when cut on the lathe.

If you haven't done a course I'd recommend it....

oldsoke":hpw0pxdv said:
I you haven't done a course I'd recommend it....

In fact,I believe there's a bloke near Peterborough runs some.... :whistle: (sorry,Graham,couldn't resist it :wink: )

All excellent advice from Graham - firstly,it depends what you have available,or have access to.
When I started,actually finding suitable timber was a task in itself;as you get more immeresed into the world of turning,it becomes easier - you find out where the good places to buy from are,and people who know you start offering you timber ("I'm pruning my tree,do you want the off-cuts?" sort of thing)
From where you are,John Boddys or Snainton Woodturning aren't too far for a ride out.
And don't forget Harrogate next month.

Andrew

Morning Steve,

As Graham said, I use whatever I can get my hands on within reason. I've used old bits of furniture, offcuts from carpenters and cabinet makers (good source of things like mahogany & walnut) bit's I find in the woods, hedgerows, driftwood, trimmings from the local cemetry (yew). Tree surgeons are a good source as are skips. Amazing what people throw away. You do need to make suret hat you are at least wearing a mask and some eye protection as you aren't always sure what wood it is and what is in it. Getting a smack in the eye from a dislodged woodlouse can be painful. If you are making specific things such as food safe items then I would advise making sure that you use appropriate wood but otherwise anything goes. Spread the word around and it's surprising how many people will offer stuff in return for an item.
Also don't forget that you can turn bone, horn and antler (if you don't mind the smell but you must wear face protection as it can splinter.

Don't just help yourself to wood mind, it usually belongs to someone and you should check first as a general rule

I would also advise avoiding some of the weird bits of wood I use at first until you have some tool control and familiarity dealing with wood that is travelling a high speeds.

Most of all enjoy, hope this helps

Pete

Mornin' Steve, it's all been said above. My little bit, if it comes from a tree turn it. My only criteria in your position as a beginner would be to use only cheap to free wood. There is no point in spending good money on prepared blanks that can end up on the fire.

Good luck sliding on the slope! :lol:

Steve - Graham mentions toxicity of some woods. I'd go a step further and say treat all woods as toxic so use a good dust mask at all times and an extractor when sanding. Once dust gets into your lungs it's there for good.

When I started I was told to use the cheapest wood that I could find and that bog standard pine from a diy shop was good to practice on - if you find a cheap enough source you won't worry about wasting it and can spend time turning it down to nothing. It can be difficult to get a good finish on it from the tool, but if you can manage it on pine it should stand you in good stead when you move to hardwoods. This pine is probably only suitable for spindle turning though.

The couple of times I've been to Snainton they've had plastic sacks of random wood that have been pretty cheap. The one I bought had plenty in it. Last year at the Harrogate they had some good bargains on some of their blanks.

One source of free wood I found recently is the council depot close to where I live. They use it as a storage/composting place for all the trees and bushes that get trimmed or chopped down in the city parks and streets.

The problem with using free found or given wood to learn with is that you will have to convert it into a usable blank for mounting on the lathe. For this you will probably need a chainsaw and/or a bandsaw.
You're also likely to encounter less than ideal wood with faults in it that an experienced turner may use to his advantage but may prove difficult or even dangerous for a beginner to deal with.
Even if you manage to turn something to your satisfaction if the wood was wet when you turned it you may have to consider part turning to finish later, turning thin to allow movement or drying using a microwave.

I would suggest that whilst learning it's easier to buy ready dried and prepared wood. Maybe it's just because that's how I learned.

And as Andrew says - try to get to Harrogate next month even if it is just to see some of the demos from some very well known UK turners.

Ah - I've just re-read your question and it wasn't really about where to get wood from, but suitability for use.
For an item in contact with food you want something resilient, non-toxic and non-tainting - this has traditionally been beach or maybe sycamore (if you have a look at wooden spatulas or spoons they're usually beach).
If you're making something decorative it can be pretty much any wood. If the decorative piece is to show off a certain form or is to be embellished (eg with carving) then you may want something with bland grain or colouring or which holds fine carved detail well.
If you're making a pen then generally go for something with a strong grain or colouring.

I find Mark Bakers book Wood for Woodturners an interesting read. It lists common woods, how well they turn, what the wood qualities are, how well they finish.

Thanks for the book title Duncan... don't think I've seen that one.

Just checked the local library and they have it in... price is good from the link you gave but I'm a great believer in try b4 you buy :wink:

Thanks all for the very helpful replies. I am a gas engineer (hence the name) and get about quite a bit. A job at a local golf course today and a quiet word with the gardeners came up trumps with some nice bits of Hawthorn and I think Cherry to practise on. :lol:
I`ve just mentioned to Chas that I now see bowls vases and other turning stuff instead of trees
sad or what??.
Cheers
Steve

Say goodbye to the age of innocence Steve... you'll never look at a beautiful tree again without thinking.... chainsaw :lol:

Steve,

I'd say you did well to get a bit of hawthorn, from my limited experience it's one of my favourite woods to turn, quite hard and with a nice smell.

I turned some holly reecently which I'd been given a while ago and found that came up really well.

I've found yew to be very nice for everything that I've used it for so far as well.

I probably turn mostly ash and sycamore, and they're both great, but often in a more ordinary way, if you know what I mean.

I would try to avoid any light woods such as poplar as I've found them to be very difficult to finish well.

Cheers,

Dod :D

oldsoke":21ia0mk2 said:
Say goodbye to the age of innocence Steve... you'll never look at a beautiful tree again without thinking.... chainsaw :lol:

Boy is that the truth :D

If I hear a chainsaw running now, I'm on the hunt for where it is, and I have about a dozen trees on my "List" that I check just about weekly, most of them are in the way of new, or expanding roads, so one day, they WILL BE MINE :twisted: :roll:

Yep, wood that a flatlander would turn his nose up at, a turner gets all excited about! :D

Stu in Tokyo":3d4bvm95 said:
...Yep, wood that a flatlander would turn his nose up at, a turner gets all excited about! :D

Especially if you get into miniatures... I just love the 'unusable ' bits they throw out :lol:

Once a long time ago I found a large stump of Elder and thought oh well I'll give it a try, you just wouldn't believe the smell ! definitely one to miss but just about everything else is worth a try I would say the fruit woods are the best to turn and always turn wet if you can, you may loose a fair share during the drying process but it's worth it, I find Beech to give probably the best finish and as others have said Yew has fantastic grain and colour although Laburnum is pretty good.
Always keep a look out for old stumps that other people don't want to bother with they are often the most interesting to turn.
Have fun.
Cheers
Ken

I've turned a fair bit of Elder, mostly smaller stuff from hedgerows. It does have a distinctive smell but having also turned antler it isn't too bad. If it's free it's amazing what I find I can cope with smell wise :lol:

Pete

Back