Suitable catch for cabinet doors in a face-frame?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petermillard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. I've built and fitted a couple of wardrobes & top boxes this week with a face-frame and inset doors; I was planning to use cranked Blum concealed hinges and the doors bearing against a simple stop attached to the back of the frame (hinge plates on blocks, obviously), but have had to change tack (don't ask) and fit the doors on butt/flush hinges instead.

I've had a Google around, but can't find any kind of 'cranked' magnetic catch or anything similar that would attach to the back of the face-frame and double as a stop - something like a better-looking version of this:-

51%2BVL2MYS9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I really don't want to put a 'step' on the face-frame to start attaching roller catches, and if possible would prefer to avoid drilling into the face-frame and doors to conceal magnets, so if anyone knows of a UK supplier of something similar to the above, or an alternative, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Many thanks in advance, Pete.

Hi Dave, thanks for that; doesn't really solve the problem for me though. I should have said that the face-frame isn't flush with the bottom of the wardrobe so I'd have to put some kind of horizontal support/block on the back of the face-frame for the catch to mount onto, which I'm trying to avoid partly on aesthetic grounds, and partly because the frames and carcasses have already been painted.

All my searches have thrown up lots of links to generic 'magnetic catches' but nothing from the UK that's similar to the photo above, so maybe I really am the first person to hit this snag, lol!

Cheers, Pete

On the last unit I did I just made some nice little wooden curved blocks and rebatted the face so that the doors sat nicely. Then I just glued in a rare earth magenet in a 10mm hole on that and the door. I don't know if that will help with your paint situtation thou.

If you really want it to look nice then you probably have to make your own catches. The metal plate you show in your first post could be made out of some nice timber and either conceal a rare earth magnet, like Chems suggests, or even conceal some metal plate of your choice. A thin veneer over the top could hide the metal plate? Then the same could be in the inside of the door (either the magnet or the plate). Both of which could be plugged with same wood or a contrasting wood, or the metal could be left on show if it's nice enough?

I've ended up making all my own bits for my wall cabinet as I found that bought in catches are all a bit pants really! :cry: Takes longer, is frustrating to some extent, but I think that the end result will be better!

cheers
Steve

Thanks guys.

I was hoping for a ready-made solution but I think I'm resigning myself to a bit of magnetic DIY, so we'll see how it works out.

Cheers all, and enjoy the weekend weather (in the workshop myself, making doors & drawers....)

Pete

Latest posts

Back