Suggestions please..is there a bowl in there somewhere?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a chunk of old yew, cut down 20 - 25 years ago, and I wonder how you clever bowl guys would approach it? It is about 30 by 30 by 10 cm, and very asymmetrical. My lathe is pretty heavy and will be quite OK turning out of balance stuff. All suggestions other than the woodburner will be gratefully received.
I have attached pictures of the wood.
The ruler is too reflective and hasn't photographed well but is 30 cm long.
Thanks!

Attachments

• blank1.jpg
    blank1.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 1,066
  • blank2.jpg
    blank2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • blank3.jpg
    blank3.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 1,066
mount it on the middle picture's face, and have that as the base. then turn a bowl that's not fully sided leaving a thick base so it does not topple over!

adidat

It looks a bit of rubbish to me,so send it and I can dispose of it for you.Seeing that we may be close ,I could always collect.
F.

Hi , if this makes sense.......think of photo 1 as a lower case 'd' topple it over to the left so that the leg of the 'd' is now vertical with the 'bowl' of the 'd' underneath it and slightly to the right of centre, turn this off centre and add a couple of small stabilising legs to the underside of the resulting bowl, I've drawn a very crass version in Word, but haven't got the foggiest idea of how to put it in this message, I'll try a pm or if any one else can visualise it and explain it better please do so.

MattF":2hh06gvq said:
There is defiantly a nice bowl in there as adidat has said that face looks the best for the base I think it will look very nice when you do it
yes I Agree There is A Bowl to Be turned the face does look the base end and should present a challenge will be intresting when finished cant wait to see the end result
Regards
Bill

Latest posts

Back