Suggestions in the box please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of a suggestions box I just made. It's for placing on the counter in the shop where I work so that customers can put their comments in, not sure if it's a good idea or not.

2005258164668427295_rs.jpg

2005250947813790287_rs.jpg

I cut the corners using a jig for the table saw like Norm used when he made his medicine cabinet. I just used the two outer blades from the stack dado set to make ¼" fingers. They were a bit tight going together but I think the finished job looks okay.

One problem was finding a way to put the lettering on. I wanted to use rub-down letters such as Letraset but couldn't find any in the local shops. I suppose now that everyone has a computer to do their typing no one uses Letraset any more, (a downside to technology I suppose).

Anyway, I traced the lettering and then followed with some Humbrol enamel and a very fine brush. I gave the box a couple of wash coats of varnish first but it still bled a little bit.

regards

Brian

Nice one Brian, I like the rebate on the bottom of the lid, a sound idea.

Got to say I love this style of box/drawer making, not as strong as other types, I know,but with the glues they have now that really shouldn't be a problem, at least not in our lifetime.

Nicely made. Ever thought of buying a letter set for the router?? :idea:

Decklan

I think that you did a fine job but if you want to experiment, and I haven't tried it myself but you can buy waterslide transfer paper which you print onto with an inkjet and apply as you would for model planes. Do a google search for Inkjet Waterslide Decal Paper and you'll find many sources. it might be an alternative to Letraset.

regards

Colin

Hello Brian, Looks good, I like it, but may I "suggest" that if you're placing it on the counter you place two screws in it and secure it in case some light fingered person likes it even more. :shock: :shock: :D :D

Alan.

PS we're not like that in North Wales are we. :D :D :D

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Decklan, I think it is more than strong enough for its purpose. Actually the joints were a bit too tight if anything, I think it would hold together quite well without any glue..!

Colin, waterslide transfers look like the modern solution to this kind of labelling, thanks.

Alan, never thought of that. I suppose if someone nicked my project I could consider it the ultimate compliment, although I'd still be pretty peed of.

regards

Brian

Latest posts

Back