Styles of box lids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyEssex

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for these dumb questions but if I dont ask I'll never know, but what are the styles edgesese lids called? Its the edges that I like, and would like to try out.

For the simple chamfered edge would you use a smoothing plane or block plane? And would you do the endgrain edges first to remedy any spelch (is that the right word). Or would you treat it like normal endgrain planning and work from each end and meet in the middle?

For the more fancy edges, would I use a moulding plane?

Also would you use a jig similar to a shooting board to keep a constant angle on all four edges?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• repurposed-ash-dovetail-box-w-walnut-accents--UDU2Ny02NDEzOC4yNjU5MDQ=.jpg
    repurposed-ash-dovetail-box-w-walnut-accents--UDU2Ny02NDEzOC4yNjU5MDQ=.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Jewelry-Boxes-0141-e1289000580738.jpg
    Jewelry-Boxes-0141-e1289000580738.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 127
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 127
Either a block plane or smoother would be fine - whichever feels comfortable for the size.
A fancier edge could be done with a moulding plane.

Yes, normal technique would be to plane across the ends first then the long grain. With a simple chamfer you can work each way round into the middle but a moulded edge will have to be done all one way. You can always clamp a bit of scrap across the far side to prevent break out.

Thanks Andy, I thought as much. What about keeping a consistent angle all around. Is that by eye and experience or with a kind od shooting board?

For a chamfer I would just go by eye, concentrating on the corners, as they are the places where any inaccuracies will show up - you want a nice tidy intersection.
You could use a shooting board if you wanted but it's not essential.

Just use a pencil not a gauge or knife and mark a line to plane to, on the top and sides, or count the number of passes, which works very well for small chamfers.

Pete

Back