Struggling to find some oak moulding (for 100yr old mirror)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick UK

Reaction score
Hi

I am wondering if someone might be so kind to help. I have a 100 year old 7ft tall oak mirror and I need a piece of moulding as the current one was snapped on the front and missing a piece on the side. I need 141cm to be able to remove it and replace the front and sides. It is currently 2.5cm wide (although possibly between 2-3cm should be ok)

I want it to be as authentic as possible and finding it had to find a piece of dark oak that will do. It doesn't need to be exactly the same shape but it needs to be a dark piece of oak. Does anyone either know a place I could buy some? or perhaps have a piece I can buy from you? p.s. I'm based on south London/surrey if that makes a difference.

I have tried to attach some images - The current side profile of the piece looks like a 'half round' placed on top of a 'rectangle'.

Attachments

• rsz_img_1840.jpg
    rsz_img_1840.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 123
  • rsz_img_1839.jpg
    rsz_img_1839.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 123
  • rsz_img_1838.jpg
    rsz_img_1838.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 123
The oak will have been stained to make it dark.

If it were my mirror I would make a piece of moulding to match and stain it. With that simple moulding I could do all the moulding with my trusty shoulder plane. Perhaps that's not what you're supposed to do with a shoulder plane, but I've never had any problems, and it beats trying to match the profile with router cutters. The original would presumably have been made with a moulding plane.

It's hard to match from a photo, but it could have been stained with mahogany crystals or van dyck crystals and almost certainly french polish on top.

Thanks for the replies so far. Would anyone be able to reproduce a suitable piece of wood and post?

Just let me know how much. It doesn't need to be treated (I will do that). I can post more photos and exact measurements.

Thanks for everyones time so far.

Latest posts

Back