• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Strimmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
won'tbuy Sthil any more.......
anything Japanese is good.....
I usually stick to Echo machines but do have a big Kawasaki strimmer but I'm not stong enough to start it anymore....
this summer will look into an electric starter conversion for it.....
made this years ago.....it reg strims my back field 4,000m2......
View attachment 159310
E

Last edited:
That Screwfix strimmer gets excellent reviews, and from what reviewers say, the auto-feed system seems to work really well. (I have a Qualcast mains powered strimmer, which is really unusable as the auto-feed is pathetic). Does the spool on the Screwfix Titan strimmer have to be rewound with new cord, or is the cassette simply replaced with a new full spool?
I think it’s a rewind.

We have the 40V Greenworks strimmer and the pole saw that takes the same battery. I can't fault it, we use it in our garden and allotment. They do a 60 volt range including a brush cutter, I should imagine that would be a beast. Here's a link to their range...and no, I have nothing to do with them I'm just someone who bought a couple of things from them. Grass Trimmers - Greenworks Tools

On my small Kawasaki I use the Oregon jet Fit setup. This takes two flexblade pieces up to 4mm, I use the ready cut pieces and it is so much easier than fiddling with spools. For bigger trimmers there is a four blade version.

I have a Stihl strimmer but I needed a Pole Saw so decided on the Husqvarna with the upgraded battery, it also has the hedge Strimmer attachment and recently got the grass strimmer that takes the same battery, I have a large garden and in the winter I trim 4 trees, cut a hundred food hedge and have plenty of battery left, it's been a good change.

Plus 1 for the Stihl small electric with disposable blades, I was gifted one although I have a petrol machine as well. The battery one is great for trimming around the garden, light and easy to use around lawn edges, flower beds etc but certainly not man enough for long grass or tough plants-- brambles etc. Very handy around home !

Any votes for the 18v Makita DUR181Z as I have batteries and charger already - my Champion petrol strimmer would no longer start so I sold it to someone who "knows about these things" - so do I - but Ive had enough of it.

Last edited:
My Son-in-Law is a professional garden maintainer for the past ten years+and uses Stilh, strimmers and hedge trimmers. I am sure that the accountants have been at their products as they seem to have too many break-downs of small plastic pieces. This means constant trips to the repair workshops as definitely not user friendly.
I have a Kawasaki petrol strimmer that has (fingers crossed) done great service for years (without any repairs) and I don't empty the fuel tank and it starts very easily each time. One day it won't but it has paid for itself over and over. I am afraid the "race to the bottom" has reduced even the "Big Boys" to less robust work tools but their prices don't reflect this.
I had a Stihl fs45 which performed really well for @ 18 years before needing work doing so I obtained a newer model a year ago and have had nothing but starting issues. So it now sits unused as I have resorted to using a Mountfield that I originally used with a metal brush cutting disc for the field, and use the strimmer spool now. Excellent machine. Also bought a new Stihl chainsaw...pffft! I am still using my old Titan in preference and have vowed never to buy another Stihl machine. Now totally overrated and over-priced.

Most common issue is old fuel left in and gums gauze filter up in carb often starts on choke but won't run or splutters/hesitates on throttle.
It was a combination of things, the line bump up didn't so every time I need more line I had to partly unscrew the retaining bolt and wiggle more line out, the plastic cap around that bolt was a bit tired, new spark plug with the right gap small filter in carb ok petrol filter in tank ok spark a bit weakish so maybe coil less good new fuel used. If I had an ultrasonic cleaner maybe the carb would be better as they do gum up over the years. Anyway bit academic - its gone I had enough of playing with it. My strimmer needs are less now so I hate to say it but a battery one will suffice - shame as I quite like the noise a petrol one makes generating more cutting power than I am sure a battery Makita will have.

Been replaced with newer model but amazon say's has them?
What batteries do you have? as a lot now don't fit newer tools.
Ive some that won't fit recip saw or grinder and my old impact driver(made in japan was one of there first units) newer/bigger batteries wouldn't fit it till it got modded!(you have to remove a lump in slot where push battery into) Makita's story was as unit has no battery indicator could run battery flat yet newer cells have indicators and old ones didn't!.
Go with 6ah unless get after market bigger ones as there are 8-9 even 12ah from our wonky friends down in asia.
Higher amps gives higher spin speeds.
Also what charger do you have? as charge at different rates
I have a Makita DC18RCT charger P/N 630719C3 and a few 3+4ah LXT batteries
Do you know which model replaced the DUR181Z?
Thanks for your interest

Just ordered a Dwalt version from Toolstation. I’m well invested in Dwalt batteries so it was the obvious way to go. This one is for my wife as she finds the Stihl petrol combo tool too heavy. I like the Stihl for the hedge trimmer and lopper but strumming with it, especially if it is just a tidy up after mowing is a bit of a chore with it.

Thanks for this I have a Stihl petrol hedge trimmer very good and Parkside battery pole hedge trimmer which is good for ther odd top bits.
I will take a battery to Machine Mart to check before buying

Latest posts

Back