Stretchers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm drawing up plans for a hall table (will be approx. 12"D 32"W 34"H) and am pondering whether I need to include stretchers. Having looked at various pictures some tables seem to have them some don't. Usually I'd go for the sturdy approach and include them but I wanted to know whether there is any general rule of thumb regarding when you need them and when you can get away without using them if that's what your design requires. Thoughts gratefully appreciated. Edmund

IMO depends entirely on the eventual design of your table. Stretchers will make the underside frame stronger but are not entirely necessary. It really depends on wether they will fit in with what you want to do. They may make the design look unbalanced, in which case they can be ommited or the table re-designed - Rob

Ed
I like to use stretchers-it gives you somewhere to screw the top to!
It makes for a more stable piece in my opinion.
HTH
Philly :D

If you want to use a stretcher for strength, but keep it looking delicate, you could laminate together three lengths of wood. That way you could keep the thickness down but it would be strong.

Paul

Three points to consider:

1. How deep is the apron, if you are having draws then it's likely to be 100mm approx which will give a good size tennon. Just a narrow top rail will give a small weak tennon

2. How thick are the legs? the thicker the legs the longer the tennon into them can be

3. Whats the floor, carpet wood/tile? The table will tend to slide on a solid floor if it is dragged but the legs will catch on carpet if not lifted correctly, depends who does the vacuuming :)

Jason

There will be a drawer at the top, about 4" deep. The legs will be between 1 1/2" and 1 3/4", so reasonably sturdy. The top will be granite, so quite heavy. The table will be placed on a tiled floor, and won't be moved on a regular basis (for vacuuming, not done that regularly by me :roll: or otherwise :) )

With a 4" draw , 3/4" rails above & below you will have 5 1/2" back and side rails which should give a good size tennon, You should be OK without stretchers. Even if the draw fronts will cover the rails you could still get a 3 1/2" long tennon in there. Just make sure you dovetail the upper draw rail into the top of the legs for a nice strong joint.

Jason

Latest posts

Back