Stranger thing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I purchased this strange plane from UK but have no idea what job is designed for. The blade is V-shape and the sole angle is about 120°. I think is home made tool.
Any idea? :lol:

mp01.jpg

mp02.jpg

mp03.jpg

mp04.jpg

When would a vee groove be required along the length of a round piece of timber... looks like thats what it would do? I automatically think of boatbuilding as its my background but cant remember anything like this. As its home made though I guess it could have been made for some kind of one off situation.

That would work":lv2u0ipc said:
When would a vee groove be required along the length of a round piece of timber... looks like thats what it would do? I automatically think of boatbuilding as its my background but cant remember anything like this. As its home made though I guess it could have been made for some kind of one off situation.

Yes. With a straight blade it would be a chamfer plane. Perhaps it was modified from the latter?

I reckon it was probably made by a pattern maker. There could never have been an industrial revolution without thousands of highly skilled pattern makers making complicated shapes, to exact sizes, out of wood so that castings in iron or other metals could be made repeatedly and accurately. They often made their own tools to solve special problems, including planes. That said, Chas could be right - and they may well have used larger dowels than many other woodworkers.

Thank you all for your answer, I think the round version could be the correct one!
I don't know when but I'm curious to test the plane after a little set up.

Back