Straight line sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why all straight line sanders are air powered? Also they look very much like a long palm sander is there much difference??

CHeers

Ian

Ian":25pzwqgf said:
Does anyone know why all straight line sanders are air powered? Also they look very much like a long palm sander is there much difference??
Festools LS 130 is an electric linear sander. Palm sanders are orbital, I think, whereas a linear sander just moves back and forth (like hand sanding) so is useful for sanding profiles, edges etc... I use mine a lot on sash window refurbs - nothing cleans up the outside edges of the sash box like one of these and some P60 Granat.

HTH Pete

Ahh I now see the difference - many thanks but is there any reason a lot of makes are air powered?

Best

Ian

Ian":2dtbjkv1 said:
Ahh I now see the difference - many thanks but is there any reason a lot of makes are air powered?

Best

Ian

I have been told by a couple of folks i knew that used to market them that it was a throw back to the car industry for shaping lead and fillers on panels prior to painting and as sales slumped they decided to market it to woodworkers and painters etc as well in an attempt to bolster sales
No idea how correct this info was but it made sense to me at the time and tbh it still does LOL

Roger

I think several reasons they are really industrial tools and for a long time air was favored in the factory, they tend to be tougher and not so pinchable ( useless with out a air sorce ).
Also they seem to be aimed at car body repairs where they rub down fillers with the aid of lots of water so a bit safer there.
And the back and forth action is easy with a air piston and little else.

Back