Straight Hollowing Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandy

Established Member
Reaction score
seeing as there is a new hollowing tool thread, i didnt want to steal that thread and ask my question :p hehe

im after a Straight neck Hollowing Tool but fairly small and something that wont cost the world, im tempted to by a cheepish swan neck one and bend it straight, by common sense tells that it might be a bad idea.

the best i have found is a henry talyor one, but its in a set and i dont fancy the price, and yet again all the places i have looked have turned un trumps so can anyone shed any light on where i could get my hands on one?/have you go one in your shed that i could purchase off you :D

I have the Sorby version of this. It's OK for small things but is a bit too thin a shaft fro going very far over the tool rest and can be a bit viscious. If you are thinking of it for your plugs and tunnels then it would be fine for that size of thing

Pete

yeah thats what i have in mind, im fine with smaller stuff i can use my drill chuck in the tailstock, that can hold 13mm, but bigger stuff ill need something like that, the stuff i make is betwine 10mm long and 12mm long, so not very big so i doubt ill have much trouble

ive ordered the one from ebay the crown one, being the size that it is it should work well for me.

Why don't you make one, I've heard pf people using the chrome rod from a shock absorber of a car, to make tools, never tried it myself, you probably get one down at the scrap yard for a pound, a few taps with the hammer and a bit of work with the grinders and a custom built handle and your there, man that sounds good LOL

the cloest ive come to making tools is a square ended scraper from an old metal working file, lol its bloody scary to use tho

gandy":3kspdizv said:
the cloest ive come to making tools is a square ended scraper from an old metal working file, lol its bloody scary to use tho

Chuck it fast :!: :!: . The metal on files is very brittle and can snap all over the place. Not a good idea though very common at one time.

Pete

Bodrighy":3fouf03y said:
gandy":3fouf03y said:

Chuck it fast :!: :!: . The metal on files is very brittle and can snap all over the place. Not a good idea though very common at one time.

Pete

good thing i havant used it since i was 16 then :cry:

Back