Storing wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiJimi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am about to purchase some redwood boards 20mm x 200mm in 2 netre lengths and I was wondering where would be the best place to keep them. Are they likely to warp? My options are a centrally-heated attic room that gets damp in winter; a damp cellar; or another centrally-heated room in the house. I haven't bought wood in large-ish quantities before so I don't know how it will behave over time.

Jimi

My workshop is my spare bedroom, which is centrally heated with double glazing. I have large quantities of hardwood delivered on a regular basis and this is stored flat in the workshop in maybe 2 or 3 rows depending on the quantity. I may well stick it, again, depending on quantity, that is I place same thickness sticks along a plank and then put another on top, this ensures there is a good airflow around the stack. I have never had a problem with warping. Don't stack it near any radiators though as this will almost certainly cause the wood to warp.

That is excellent advice - thank you. My workshop is a room in the house too but there is no space in there to lay planks on the floor. But my wife, bless her, has suggested I store it under the bed in our bedroom. I will stick it, as you suggest.

Thanks again,

Jimi

Back