Storage solutions around the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggly

Established Member
Reaction score
has anyone some good ideas that they might want to share regarding the storage of sheet materials and lumber around the workshop? I have built a strong cradle that accepts around 25 sheets of 8x4 on their side and i can move it around my shop with a pallet truck so as to slide them out of the ends. I seem to have a problem that a lot of other people must share and that is what do you do with sheets under say a 1/3 of a sheet and when are they just fit for the fire? there is only so many paint stirring sticks one man can have shirley. I was thinking of storing lumber on a steel frame supported from the ceiling as a timber one i made previosly bowed under the weight and so did some of the timber on it. My ceiling is very strong (4 joists and a 6" steel angle bolted together in some places) and i have a habit of slightly testing the engineering shall we say.

In the commercial workshop I work in, we have that much space on our mezzanine floor level that we just throw all our plywood offcuts up there, anything that is over 1000x500 we keep.

I tend to buy 8x4's and get them delivered on the day I need them. They get cut up straight away. I do have a rack that will take an 8x4 but it's got a couple of radiators in it at the moment :?

As for smaller bits (and doors - I seem to have a lot of full size doors :? ) - I have a second space between a couple of filing cabinets (means I can adjust the space occasionally) and a wall which holds material of "smaller sheet size / offcuts.

Other timber goes up in a rack hanging from the ceiling. I'm getting better at storing this stuff so I can find it and not just keep buying more!

Latest posts

Back