Still Ringing the Changes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Just investigating the options for alternate forms and ease of achieving holding requirements, I'm afraid patience is not improving with age and too much fiddling on the piece mounting front does not hold interest.

Walnut & Oak, 158mm max dia.
DSCN4070.JPG
DSCN4071.JPG
DSCN4072.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4070.JPG
    DSCN4070.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 797
  • DSCN4071.JPG
    DSCN4071.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 797
  • DSCN4072.JPG
    DSCN4072.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 797
heatherw":2zvfoxoh said:
Of all the segmented boxes you've posted, Chas, that's the one I like best. Beautiful.
Thanks Heather, I take you are in the "Less is More" camp.

Love it but I like all the boxes you have put on here I will do one too when i get better at turning.
Tom

Nice looking box again Chas, the levels of precision of fit and the quality of finish always impress.

How many of these little segmented boxes have you made now? I think I would have gone mad long ago :lol:

johnny.t.":3gkm39t7 said:
..... How many of these little segmented boxes have you made now? I think I would have gone mad long ago :lol:

Thanks for the comments folks,

Johnny, you would have thought that they would be rather mind numbing by now but ironically for someone who has a personal aversion to the visual impression of the extreme segmented stuff (I do really appreciate the skill and patience needed to make those, just don't like the busy look) I find them satisfying to do.

In reality I get a personal satisfaction from manipulating the basic off-cut stock to enable accurate cutting, setting up the most basic of tooling and jigs to achieve the fit and paring down the turning process to only address the truly relevant needs of holding and final finishing.

Repetition boredom is rarely a problem as although methods may be the same, finite dimensions, shape etc. are in the main determined on the lathe by the wood characteristics and what appears to be 'right at the time'

One very sound aspect of using the segmented sections is that the basic Box is more dimensionally stable and less prone to movement than one cut from the solid.

Latest posts

Back