Still a noob, 2nd month of turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexx

Established Member
Reaction score
So we'll call this my second month of turning, havent had much workshop time due to work commitments, still holding out for the lottery win :(

Turned a few bottlestoppers for some friends
bottle stopper [1024x768].jpg

Then an American Cherry Bowl
Cherry Bowl finished (1) [1024x768].jpg

Cherry Bowl finished (2) [1024x768].jpg

Had a go at a Vase, from an Elm blank from the Woodshed bought for me by a customer (beats the normal bottle of whiskey), struggled with the shape
Elm Vase 1 (6) [1024x768].jpg

Elm Vase 1 (9) [1024x768].jpg

Then playing around with an old busted table leg, turned a wee eggish shaped box
hollow egg [1024x768].jpg

Still loving my time in the workshop although the gas heater is playing havoc with my tin roof (internal rain), been trying to get it insulated for years, but never seem to gather up enough money to get it done :(

The lack of a tool for the insides is starting to annoy, im stuck with a round nosed scraper and a couple of parting tools, must invest in a hollowing instrument soon..
Still getting masses of inspiration from UKW, just try to avoid the computer when I get home from work as I see enough of them during the day, wish this weather would do one ...

Every day in the workshop turning is a learning experience, apparently the wife is glad I found wood turning after i finished our renovation lol...

Attachments

• bottle stopper [1024x768].jpg
    bottle stopper [1024x768].jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 917
  • Cherry Bowl finished (1) [1024x768].jpg
    Cherry Bowl finished (1) [1024x768].jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 917
  • Cherry Bowl finished (2) [1024x768].jpg
    Cherry Bowl finished (2) [1024x768].jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 917
  • Elm Vase 1 (6) [1024x768].jpg
    Elm Vase 1 (6) [1024x768].jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 917
  • Elm Vase 1 (9) [1024x768].jpg
    Elm Vase 1 (9) [1024x768].jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 917
  • hollow egg [1024x768].jpg
    hollow egg [1024x768].jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 917
The finish and quality of the cherry bowl is excellent. Also the shape/form of the elm vase is really appealing.

It looks and sounds like you are really enjoying yourself and learning at a rapid rate as well. Well done and keep it up. We enjoy seeing your efforts.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm loving my lathe time, discovered yesterday that I can't turn when in bad form, just doesnt work for me so fell back to build some fence panels i've been ignoring.

Scouring the forums for hollowing tools now, and have been gifted a couple more woodshed blanks that i'm holding off turning until I can figure out what i'm going to do with them.

Sun is shining today in Co. Down for the first in a long time so apparently the missus has declared a day in the garden building raised beds ...Lathe will have to wait until tonight :(

The Elm Vase looks pretty good to me, (not that the others don't, but the vase appeals most) I like the fact you have what appears to be a delicate wall but not overly so, nice balance there, the overall shape looks good as well as the proportions and the finish looks fine too, seeing it in use with the dried plants really sets it off. Good item Lexx.

Latest posts

Back