Sticking Vinyl flooring to a non porous wall with zero vapour glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc281

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Using the vinyl as a decorative wall mounted bed head. The use of a backer board is not possible in the design constraints. The wall is totally non porous too.
I am unable use any glue with volatile compounds due to Reactive Asthma.
Water based or low volatiles means no contact adhesives.
Gluing with a low odour vinyl floor glue fails because the wall is already waterproof along with the vinyl. This prevents the glue from 'setting' because the tiny amount of moisture never escapes, except around the outer edges, at which point any further 'setting' inside the outer, now airtight area is prevented. Vinyl flooring glue is meant for porous surfaces!
I tested this and a week later the centre area was still wet. In fact any glue or sealer needs to evaporate it's 'moisture' to set.
Any advice from a fellow sufferer with a similar experience would be useful..... Please.

Is water based contact adhesive acceptable? Or maybe seek the help of a friend to do the sticking for you?
I don't have a problem but the last time we tried a glue with volatiles, we went away on holiday for 3 days. The remaining vapour when we got home, made my better half ill with Asthma and she was wiped out for 4 days before she got over it.
I'm not aware of any water based contact adhesive...... Is there one? I'd certainly give it a test.

Won't the volatile out gassing from the vinyl cause as much or more problems in terms of asthma as volatiles from the glue ?

Won't the volatile out gassing from the vinyl cause as much or more problems in terms of asthma as volatiles from the glue ?
No not an issue.. reactive asthma is a law unto itself. It's very selective and every sufferer is different. Ask any sufferer and although there are generalisations the reaction may or may not materialise depending on which molecules are available. Evostick is one of the worst in my wife's case... Oh and an apple or banana anywhere in the house Most things are OK but a handful of 'smells' are medically reactive for her and glue is a minefield.

No not an issue.. reactive asthma is a law unto itself. It's very selective and every sufferer is different. Ask any sufferer and although there are generalisations the reaction may or may not materialise depending on which molecules are available. Evostick is one of the worst in my wife's case... Oh and an apple or banana anywhere in the house Most things are OK but a handful of 'smells' are medically reactive for her and glue is a minefield.
Surprising, but fair enough. Really don't like vinyl fumes myself, not full medical, just a headache. Personally would never put vinyl anywhere near my bed.

Problem sorted..... I eventually settled on strips of double sided vinyl FF looking fixing tape. No pong or vapours and job done...... I've often been accused of over thinking..... Seems I did it again!

Back