Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":a7fbk1sd said:
He's happy with 6mm.
So I am, too.
That's lucky, I nearly fell over when I saw the price for 12mm 8x4 sheets of glasroc!!
Have you just got to clad the sides and back with it I take it?

Steve,

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but I always understood Glasrock was a plasterboard with a hardish and smooth outer layer, with fiberglass threads within the plasterboard and can obviously be treated for fire resistance.

However, it is a plasterboard and the manufacturers data sheet confirms that it is not suitable for exposed external perimeters. I guess rain +plasterboard = tendency to go soft.

I could be wrong here but my colleagues seem to agree. Best to check it out prior to purchase.

Al

Al
Yes, that is a concern. But. I don't have many options, the BCO is happy with that, and the Snowcem stuff is a waterproof, cement-based paint.
My granddad used to use it. It's been around for decades (assuming it is the same stuff) but is now made in India. There is a UK distributor, though.

It doesn't have to last for ever, it just needs to see me out and after that, quite frankly I no longer care. Nothing lasts for ever. Everything I built up before was swept away with the stroke of a pen.

It's only Ray that keeps me going on the project at all, personally I've had enough. It's a good job that there is relatively little left to do.

When you decide it's finished enough to use you should go for a budget holiday, somewhere that has nothing to offer you, so you have no choice but to lounge and maybe indulge.
We tried this last year and came back refreshed and with a yearning to be active and creative, as opposed to the usual need for a rest after our preferred getaway.

Nice idea, Mike.
I've not had a holiday for 6 years, bar the odd weekend in a Youth Hostel. But later this year I am going to visit a friend I've never met, and doing New York along the way. It will be budget by US standards, AirBnB for accommodation and budget airlines. But I'm really looking forward to it. My mate Bob, who helped me make my early films, is coming with me to NY. Mind you, the last time I went on holiday with him I got mugged and ended up locked in a room with a man wanted back in the UK for murder.
S

Funny that, I got chatting to an ex con when I was in NY. Seemed like a nice chap though.

I just think that as soon as you feel you can, you should turn your back on the new build, as magnificent as it is, until it calls you back, and I doubt if that would be too long. But then you'd be there because you want to be rather than because you had to be. A goal for reaching the finish line that isn't just more of the same.

Hullo Steve,

If I may I endorse monkeybiter's post (above) 110%. That exactly reflects my own experience.

Meanwhile, thanks for having enough "go" to continue posting a really interesting build of a real palace.

Krgds

AES

Steve, sorry to hear that your heart is no longer in it, there's many of us here building this vicariously with you. Tell you what - we'll have the shed warming get together whilst you are away!

It was not a good start to the day. Not only was it piddling down, but I could hardly open my left eye. It is bloodshot, swollen and very tender to the touch. I think I have an eye infection :(

However, a bit of rain never stopped Ray, so I carried on digging up my patio blocks whilst Ray carried on laying them.

It continued to piddle down, so much so that even Ray stopped for while.

By about 4, we had finished laying the blocks and the sun started to make a tentative appearance, so I took some photos.

P1030815.JPG

P1030816.JPG

P1030818.JPG

We then whackered the blocks

P1030820.JPG

brushed in some sand

P1030822.JPG

more whackerising

P1030821.JPG

and after a bit more brushing and whackerification, it was goodbye patio

P1030814.JPG

Hello esplanade

P1030823.JPG

If the rest of my house and garden get to look as good as this, then I shall be very pleased.

It's not totally finished, the very back ends, where they step down, need to be cemented, but that is not urgent.

Ray had got special permission from Chris to continue to work until the job was finished, provided he bought fish&chips for dinner on the way home. The whackeriser had to be returned to his neighbour and would not fit in his car. So I followed with it in mine and shared their fish&chips.

So now I am home, about to take my contact lenses out, have a bath and sleep until Tuesday.

No more Ray for a couple of weeks (well I have had 3 days of his time this week), they have a hectic social life right now, and anyway, he deserves a rest, don't you think?

Attachments

• P1030815.JPG
    P1030815.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 891
  • P1030816.JPG
    P1030816.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 891
  • P1030818.JPG
    P1030818.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 891
  • P1030820.JPG
    P1030820.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 891
  • P1030822.JPG
    P1030822.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 891
  • P1030821.JPG
    P1030821.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 891
  • P1030814.JPG
    P1030814.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 891
  • P1030823.JPG
    P1030823.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 891
Plenty of plastic sheets down when you come to finish cladding and do the final Snowcem.

Steve,

I hope some time in the next few days that the sun is shining when you first wake up and you take a look down the bottom of the garden and think "Wow. Did we really do all that?!"

I have been there myself and really think that it is time you take a little break. You should be proud. It is a rather envious palace that you (and Ray) have built.

I hope the eye gets better soon,

H.

Steve, I'm so impressed, it's looking fantastic.

I think we all get a little disillusioned by huge projects.

To me you and Ray have done a marvellous job. Seems we all need a 'Ray' in our lives now and again to push us to the finish, especially if it's a marathon.

So, well done to Ray too. I don't know him but a truly inspirational person.

Mick

Latest posts

Back