Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just like to say Thank You for all the ideas and suggestions. I'll let you know how we get on, of course.

It will probably be next Wednesday before there is any more serious progress. Ray and the sparky are coming then (although the sparky was due a month ago for something else and never turned up), but I've been feeling rather odd lately. I slept the weekend away. I just didn't want to be awake. It was almost like the dark days of being on the pills, but I don't know why. Nothing dreadful has happened and the build itself is going well. But it's made me realise how fragile things can get for no apparent reason. I'm supposed to be out singing this evening, and I enjoy going, but I just can't summon up the energy. I hope this isn't a relapse, I thought I was out of the woods.
But if I can function, I can get on with making the windows.

Must try harder.
S

S

If you did have a waste tank couldn't use a submersible pump and a hose reel to pump the contents up to the house drain every now and then?

Hozelock 3 in 1 Water Butt Pump - £49.99

Steve, I hope you're ok mate. If I can suggest, get out for a brisk walk tomorrow and get some sun on your face. Sometimes, those tired episodes are a warning shot to make a bit of a change and there's nothing better than a bit of an endorphin hit. The build is coming on a treat and there was a definite hint of Spring in the air today.

Woolf":2tyl2nxa said:
Have used a vacuum with a piece of sponge cut to fit the inside of the pipe. Worked well
I like that one, nice and simple.

Steve Maskery":2tyl2nxa said:
Ooh, Mark, hadn't thought of that one. I think I might try it and tell Ray it was my idea :)
Good job Ray doesn't read these forums :)

regards

Brian

Steve, I've just read your post about not feeling too good. Could I suggest a walk (just like the other poster suggested) perhaps with a pre-determined goal in mind, like a particularly nice drink of whatever you fancy at a great pub at the end of it?

It may also help that although all of us here on the Forum are eagerly anticipating your next move (your every move actually), in reality there is no real time pressure on you to finish by a certain date. You're so nearly there now, and have come such a long way, IMHO you can afford to take a day or two off now and again.

All the best.

"Gute Besserung".

Krgds
AES

Ups and downs Steve as you go you go on they even out, that's what I have found.

Pete

Steve Maskery":3jffku67 said:
I've been feeling rather odd lately. I slept the weekend away. I just didn't want to be awake.......... but I don't know why. Nothing dreadful has happened ........... I just can't summon up the energy. I hope this isn't a relapse.....

Snap! I'm wondering if it's the lack of traditional winter cold is making the short dark days more of a quagmire. Soon be longer days though.

Steve, I've been laid up for almost 3 weeks now. It started with the run down and zero energy feeling , then progressed to heavy flu. It's a real grinder, hope you're not sickening for it. Take vitamins to keep it at bay. The doc told me zinc and Vitamin C. The wife takes a vitamin pill every day (I didn't), and she's dodged it so I reckon there must be something in the theory.

A slight modification to the string process. Use 10lb fishing line with a bit of rag or foam and a vacuum or a compressed air line. Fair whizzes through a bit of piping and is very smooth running and can pull quite a substantial bit of cord. I used paracord as it is flexible and incredibly strong.

When I was commissioning and testing IT systems and networks, the techies used a long thin bendy steel tape measure like thing about 5mm by 0.5mm to push down conduit.

NickWelford":37mxktrt said:
When I was commissioning and testing IT systems and networks, the techies used a long thin bendy steel tape measure like thing about 5mm by 0.5mm to push down conduit.

Fish tape.
Brilliant bit of kit.

Well I posted a few days ago that I'd been feeling a bit dodgy again. Today I woke feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and was in the workshop by 9.30, without Ray being here. Unheard of.

I spent half an hour sweeping and generally clearing up. The space has got quite untidy, mainly due to having lots of room but nowhere to store anything.

I then turned my attention to prepping some fifths I bought a few weeks ago.

These are for the window frames, which are going to be just about as basic as it is possible to build. Each is a rectangular box that fits in the opening like a door lining. All the rebates and beads are going to be planted on.

I started with a problem. When I built the structure, the front was going to be just a wall and the natural light was going to be from skylights on the North side of the roof. The front windows were a later modification. But the studs and noggings were never positioned with the accuracy that one would use knowing that they were going to house window frames. So they are not square and they are not exactly the same size either. The biggest is 30mm wider than the smallest, I'm not sure how that happened!

There is also a small amount of lean on the building, a few mm, that's all, but it is there.

So I took the smallest height and the smallest width and prepped up some stuff.

P1030387.JPG

P1030389.JPG

I got my nice BJ out and did some very complicated joinery...

P1030392.JPG

P1030394.JPG

And before I knew it I had four window frames

P1030395.JPG

But I am so out of practice. I forgot that the short pieces need to take into account the thickness of the sides, so I made them all too long. And there were a couple of pieces where the secondary face would be inside the frame and visible, rather than against the fabric of the building. And there are two pieces where I forgot to check that the reference end was already square when I was cutting to length. Basic errors. It's such a long time since I have done anything of note.

But the smell. Ah, the smell! The workshop smells of wood, and I love it. I have three large bags of waste and I am wondering how I can burn it in my wood burner in the lounge. It is intended to burn logs, not chippings. I'm considering ramming the stuff into tin cans and putting them in, so that it all burns a bit like a charcoal burner. Does anyone have any better ideas? I'm all ears.

Anyway, it has been a good day, no thought of an afternoon nap. The only downer has been the discovery that the glass is going to cost me £250. I didn't realise it was so expensive, it's been a long time since I have bought any.

Attachments

• P1030387.JPG
    P1030387.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 734
  • P1030389.JPG
    P1030389.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 734
  • P1030392.JPG
    P1030392.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 734
  • P1030394.JPG
    P1030394.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 733
  • P1030395.JPG
    P1030395.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 734
hi steve been following the build with great interest you have got a great man cave there ! you can burn the waste but only put it on when you light the stove and dont add any when its lit . that price seems a bit steep for glass is it double glazing your putting in the windows dont look that big ? regards ian

To be fair I've had only two quotes, but yes, that was the cheaper of the two so far. Also they do have to be toughened (because they are close to the door, at least two of them are) and I also want them tinted. They are south-facing and although I like natural light, I'm not very good at bright light. That's why you often see me in sunglasses, even when it is not sunny. So it all adds up.

The firm in Long Eaton, whom I have used a couple of times before over the last 20 years want half as much again. :shock:

S

Steve, Do you know anyone locally who makes doors and windows professionally? I ask because it seems there are quite considerable trade discounts in the glazing industry and even splitting the discount with him could save you quite a bit.

Good Luck

Bob

Back