Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see you have a lot of head room but can't see how fitting rotas to the table saw is going to help! Or have I missed something?

HarryJ":3p9vwanr said:
turnamere":3p9vwanr said:
...we used 3 4'x4' pieces of 1" ply, one under each wheel, to land a Merlin Helicopter on a soft field, that's 14,600Kg and only 3 contact points...

Making the assumption that the helicopters mass is evenly spread over the three wheels when landed (which it probably isn't!), that leads to a pressure of abotut 4700 KiloPascals (KPa) through each point of contact with the ground...

-To put that into perspective, the average person when walking will probably produce a pressure of about 49KPa (whenever they are on one foot)

So take from that what you like, its some pretty useless information but I was curious... (hammer)

Errr no its not, equal loading (14,600 kg/3) is 4,866 kg per wheel, which is 48 KPa assuming each piece of ply is one sq metre.

Steve, What is the KPa rating of the insulation you are putting in?

mindthatwhatouch":87gbgavr said:

Erm.... I don't know :oops:

But it's too late now anyway. The floor is done, at least the first layer.

Then Ray sanded the filler on the ceiling

P1030143.JPG

whilst I started work on the door. I'd bought the door months ago but never got round to hanging it. And then I couldn't because we'd stored all that timber in the way. We've moved it out of the way now.

P1030142.JPG

Yesterday at the Community Workshop I made myself a hinge jig. I'm so out of practice I made the clamping strip too short, but it still works, I just have fewer clamping options.

P1030144.JPG

P1030146.JPG

P1030147.JPG

P1030148.JPG

Newbie_Neil has very kindly given me a couple of dead locks, and I've also started marking out for them, but by the middle of the afternoon we were both frozen to the marrow.

We are a bit stuck now, really. We need to paint but it is too cold. I want to paint before the rest of the floor goes on. I'm hoping we can get my TS and BS set up. That will make it much easier to finish off the front.

Attachments

• P1030142.JPG
    P1030142.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 1,479
  • P1030143.JPG
    P1030143.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 1,480
  • P1030144.JPG
    P1030144.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 1,480
  • P1030146.JPG
    P1030146.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 1,479
  • P1030147.JPG
    P1030147.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 1,480
  • P1030148.JPG
    P1030148.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,479
Great progress Steve!

I think I am missing something. Can't you get the doors and windows in. Then with the help of a heater you can paint to your heart's content?

H.

Steve Maskery":yubnh1bb said:
mindthatwhatouch":yubnh1bb said:

Erm.... I don't know :oops:

But it's too late now anyway. The floor is done, at least the first layer.

Steve

It's rated at 0.07N/mm2, which I think is 70kpa.

Presumably if a huge helicopter spreading its weight over 3m2 gives only 48kpa, a 300kg table saw over c.2.8m2 will be comfortably supported (assume the 2.4m x 1.2m sheet distributes the load broadly evenly).

Terry.

Nice hinges Steve. I used a hinge jig for a while thinking it would be quicker than chisels. It was if I had more than 3 doors to do in one go. My hinge fitting has evolved into mark round the hinge with a sharp Stanley knife and freehand the rebate with a Bosch palm router. Tidy the corners with the knife. Quick and easy as pie.

Halo:
Well I want to make the big doors and the window frames myself, so I have to get some machinery in there first. But yes, when it is fully weathertight we can try to raise the temperature a bit. Next Tuesday looks mild, but that's when I do my volutary work. I don't like letting people down. The following Saturday also looks good, but that is the Saturday before Christmas. Mind you, I'd rather be painting than shopping on the Saturday before Christmas.

Wiz:
OK, thank you. We'll just have to see.

Graham:
I think if you do it a lot then you can get quite quick at it. But I've not hung a door for years, maybe a decade. I am out of practice at everything and I need all the help I can get. I'm terrified of cocking it up, TBH.
Whilst I love my little fessy router, I would have preferred to use my trusty old MOF96E I prefer the holding position for a job like this, but that was one of the things that grew legs.

70 KPa for domestic Expanded polystyrene
That Recticel is more around the 140 mark. The floor will be fine, I would be tempted with some hardwood planks below anything really heavy to stop it wearing into the OSB, and it gives a nice strong fixing point if required.

mindthatwhatouch":1wwmpzml said:
Errr no its not, equal loading (14,600 kg/3) is 4,866 kg per wheel, which is 48 KPa assuming each piece of ply is one sq metre.

Oh... I used 4" not 4', :D
At the time, I thought 4" was a little daft!

What a very mixed day. Elation and despair in pretty much equal measure.

I'd already made a start when Ray came this morning. But I stopped work on the door because Ray wanted to get the tablesaw set up. It was too cold to paint, anyway.

So we moved some stuff out of the overstuffed log cabin so we could get the TS out. It was in a very sorry state.

P1030149.JPG

P1030150.JPG

We also had a problem. It is too wide to get down the side of the cabin and anyway, the wheels were the wrong way round for moving in that direction. They are wheels, not castors.

So we took the outfeed table off

P1030151.JPG

and with a lot of grunting - even Ray struggled - we jacked it up block by block, levered it onto my mate Stuart's bogey and got it down to the workshop. It was a lot of pushing and shoving and shushing. Sort of a cross between "Right said Fred" and "The day McGinty's donkey won the half-mile race". But we got it there.

P1030152.JPG

P1030153.JPG

I'm not posing for the camera, I really did have a silly grin on my face. Tempered by the sadness of seeing it in such a sorry state.

We then did the same with the bandsaw

P1030154.JPG

and my bench.

P1030155.JPG

This was really sad. As well as the vice being jammed with rust, it has a lot of woodworm. It always had a bit, but they have really taken hold. I think the sooner I make a replacement the better. I have stripped down a vice before and restored it, so I don't think this is beyond redemption.

Finally we brought down the planer/thicknesser. The beds were fine as they are aluminium, but the cutterblock, knives and other steely bits are rusty. Also I can't find the fence for it. I don't remember thinking that it had been stolen with the rest of the gear, but there are not many places it can be now and I can't find it so I must assume it has gone. Goodness knows what I'm going to do. It will cost a fortune to get one made, I should think. And I bet the pippers got tuppence for it as scrap. I typed pippers myself, saved the server from the trouble of translating.

On the upside I've found a couple of things I thought had been stolen. A little corner chisel that you hit with a hammer when fitting hinges (I wish I'd found it yesterday) and, much more exciting, an engineer's vice. This was my dad's and I love it. I'm not sure what state it is in, but it is wrapped in bubblewrap and cling film, so I hope it has survived well. Really pleased about that.

So with the big machines in, Ray wired up for the TS, the floor sockets and the light switch proper (until now the lights had just been plugged in to the ring main) whilst I carried on chopping out for the deadlocks. It's taking me a long time but they are right and neat enough. A pro chippy might turn up his nose, but they are not bad. I've definitely seen worse, Usually cut by me :) Dr Bob would have a fdicky-fit if he saw the speed at which I work. I still have to cut the keyholes.

We fired up the TS and it started straight away. Great, except that it sounded like a bag of nails, rather than its usual purrrrrr.

We'd done all that by about 2.30, so we finished one of the outside walls with membrane. We'd stopped work on the outside as I'd managed to cock up on the regs front and it has taken a while to find a solution. We do have one, but it will have to wait until the weather warms up again, now, before we can implement it. We just want to protect the OSB from the worst of the winter. Yes, I am aware of the UV tolerance time. Tough.

P1030158.JPG

So at close of play it looks like this:

P1030159.JPG

I'm not leaving anything that can easily grow legs down there, so there is a lot of carrying stuff up to the house every night, which is a pain but necessary, unfortunately, but it really is beginning to look a lot like a workshop. I just hope I can restore my machines to their former glory.

PS There is one nice little extra benefit from all this. I now have some space in the cabin to put all the clobber that has been littering the floor of my house since I moved in. I don't have so much excuse for living in domestic squalour!

Attachments

• P1030149.JPG
    P1030149.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 1,303
  • P1030150.JPG
    P1030150.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 1,303
  • P1030151.JPG
    P1030151.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 1,302
  • P1030152.JPG
    P1030152.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 1,303
  • P1030153.JPG
    P1030153.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 1,303
  • P1030154.JPG
    P1030154.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 1,302
  • P1030155.JPG
    P1030155.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,303
  • P1030158.JPG
    P1030158.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 1,302
  • P1030159.JPG
    P1030159.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,303
Despite the rust and worms it's beginning to really look like a shop, Steve. Congratulations!

Looking good Steve, progress is certainly progressing...

Ref TS, 10 or 15 mins with a ROS or even a Palm Sander, bit of light machine oil (to suspend the iron/rust particles) followed by white spirit/thinners etc and a good coat of buffed down wax will see the TS nice and shiny again.

Steve

Big day! Love the picture at the end, the TS looks a bit lost in that monster of a workshop you've built (with just a little help from Ray of course). Dare I say it looks so big it could be mistaken for a workshop on the other side of the pond.

On the external wall treatment, I'm sure anyone who is looking to build something bigger than 15m2 less than a metre from a boundary would be interested to hear the solution you've hammered out with the building control people.

Terry.

Wizard9999":394qdp20 said:
Dare I say it looks so big it could be mistaken for a workshop on the other side of the pond.

That's kinda (sic) the idea! :)

Wizard9999":394qdp20 said:
On the external wall treatment, I'm sure anyone who is looking to build something bigger than 15m2 less than a metre from a boundary would be interested to hear the solution you've hammered out with the building control people.

Terry.

I will, Terry, I will, but not now. I'll tell all when we actually do it.

S

Well talking of painting...
How are you fixed for a painting party on the Saturday before Christmas? Surely you have nothing better to do? :)
The forecast is mild and I'd really like to get a couple of coats on ere long.
Just hop over. Bacon sarnies for lunch?
S

Wow that looks great, really starting to look like a workshop. Have you planned which machines are going where, would be interested to see the thought process behind this...

Thought processes? With what's left of my brain? I'm flattered!
TS in roughly the middle, likewise the PT. Bandsaw towards the centre of a wall. That's about as far as I've gone.

I have taken the precaution of leaving one sheet of OSB loose, the one with the electric supply. If, after trying out the current layout, I decide I want to move the supply, I can lift out the OSB and re-site the power to within a foot or two. I can do that until such time that I lay the top layer of flooring.

S

Back