Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been working on my own today and have hung the door. It's taken forever.

I spent ages trying to get the frame right, because, although it is a gazillion years since I've done this job, I do remember how important it is that the frame must be square and true if the door is going to work properly. The opening in the framework is not as square and true and straight as it should be, unfortunately, but there is enough clearance to install the door frame and square it up with shims, without have to plane away any wood. So that is what I did. The frame is hard up against the hinge side and packed out on the leading edge jamb.

I was very careful (for which read slow and inefficient, Dr. Bob! :) ) to get it all plumb, and I checked with a spirit level and my Square of Thales:

P1030160.JPG

The hinge jamb was pretty straight and true, but the lock jamb was not quite perfectly straight, but I could force it straight by adjusting the tightness of the screws which hold it to the frame.

I had to chop the hinge recesses by hand :shock: because the rebate precluded the use of my hinge jig, and I appear to have lost one packet of the nice SS screws that came with the hinges. They'll turn up, I guess, sooner or later.

But eventually I had it looking like this:

P1030161.JPG

P1030162.JPG

It's pretty good for clearance all round, the only issue is that the leading jamb catches very slightly on the bottom cill. For some reason the cill is not perfectly horizontal. It's only a mm or two, but it catches, so when I drill for the keyholes I'll also trim the bottom edge a bit.

The other dodgy bit is that the door does not sit true in the frame. The top leading corner touches before the bottom leading corner does, by about 8mm. I couldn't understand it. 8mm! I had been so careful, what could it be? It finally dawned on me. The door itself is twisted I'm sure it will be fine when the locks and catches are on. I still need to chop out the frame for the striking plates, and the door and frame for the catch, which I must remember to go and buy when I go out tonight. Screwfix are open until 8pm, I think.

Over the weekend I've also had a bit of a go at the rust on the saws. I bought some emery paper and set to. Although the TS top is still stained, at least the rust is all gone. I could probably keep going and remove the staining as well, but I don't want to compromise the flatness of the table top. Also, it doesn't sound like a bag of nails anymore. I guess whatever was rasping has be worn off. It sounds good again.

P1030163.JPG

The bandsaw was not so bad and has come up smashing

P1030164.JPG

And the last bit of good news is that I have found the fence to my P/T. It was on the floor in the cabin behind something else. Now I just need to find my Japanese chisels. I'm pretty sure I have them because I remember taking them to the Community Workshop, but I just can't lay my hands on them. I wonder where I've put them?

Attachments

• P1030160.JPG
    P1030160.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 959
  • P1030161.JPG
    P1030161.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 960
  • P1030162.JPG
    P1030162.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 959
  • P1030163.JPG
    P1030163.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 959
  • P1030164.JPG
    P1030164.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 959
I can see some machines, I can see a workbench, a wooden floor, a door............yup its a wood working shop :D

Is there going to be a 'building a workshop essentials' coming out in 2015!

Nice work on the door, a toasty warm workshop is not far away!

Regarding the frame and door fitting -rather than make the frame plumb, the easy way is to get the frame in place, wedge it up, screw on the door with a couple of screws so its swinging in the frame and then adjust the frame to suit the door fit.

Cheers Robin

Yes indeed, Bob. I would have preferred it that way, but the doors are supplied like that so that they can be hung either hand. I did consider trying to take one brace off and reverse it, but it doesn't want to come out, so I think I have to settle for a half-braced door. It is only a temporary one, I bought it rather than made it. I'll get round to replacing it sometime in the next 30 years.

Maybe.

S

S

Just screw a sheet of steel to the back Steve, it will brace the door & also rip the teeth off jigsaw blades when anyone tries to saw around the lock.

Coming together nicely.

Looking great Steve and I'm glad the man door is on. When are you fitting the door for women? ;)

Steve Maskery":1t48x4nc said:
... Now I just need to find my Japanese chisels. I'm pretty sure I have them because I remember taking them to the Community Workshop, but I just can't lay my hands on them. I wonder where I've put them?

They're behind you !!!

Good workshop Steve, well done, as has been said, with your history where you live, security is a must -- and don't post photo's online :)

Steve Maskery":2fjyewok said:
I lost my last workshop because of a $%&*(&T woman. I'm not going to let that happen again. This is most definitely a man door.

Some women should be boiled in their own P155 :twisted:

Well it's been mild and miserable today, but that meant that it has been warm enough to paint - just.

But the day had started with a phone call to PayPal about a dispute. I had expected it to be a tortuous series of hoops through which I would have to jump, but actually it was fairly straightforward, an 0800 number, a few relevant automated questions, voice recognition software that worked and a human being who picked up the phone almost immediately afterwards. This call was not about money, well, not much, it was about my reputation being impugned and PayPal's automatically finding in favour of the other party without any reference to me. The call handler admitted that it had not been handled properly and would probably have been thrown out if it had. Not a lot of use now, of course, and he offered me a sop, but that is not the point. Still, it was nice to hear that my "squeaky clean", as he put it, account was still intact. My only harrumph is that the sop is coming out of PayPal's account and not the other party's. He's got away with it, basically.

Anyway on to the build.

First Ray had some filling to tart up and the distribution board to cover up again, whilst I did some tidying up, moving a couple of hundred spare roof tiles into the cabin, but after an early lunch we were ready to start painting.

Of course, having put some of the big stuff in, it's more difficult to move the scaffolding about, but we managed. Ray brought his top rails today, in view of my "sensitivities to being on the scaffolding", as he so tactfully put it. He means I'm a wuss. True, so true, but then he didn't spend most of last year on crutches. So we installed them and hung the ladders on them. Much happier bunny.

P1030165.JPG

I've bought some paint which is specially formulated for new dry lining. It's expensive but I do rate Johnstone's paint, actually. Two 10l tubs should seal the walls and ceiling, especially as we thinned it 10%. Here's Ray doing Rodin impressions:

P1030166.JPG

So we set to, Ray starting at one end and me at the other. The astonishing thing is that for the first time on this project I was able to keep up with Ray.

P1030167.JPG

P1030170.JPG

It's not very often that Ray puffins up and cusses, but today he decided to see what the floor would look like if we painted it white...

P1030169.JPG

We didn't quite get the whole ceiling done, but tomorrow we should get it finished with two full coats.

P1030171.JPG

P1030172.JPG

I'm going to do the ceiling white and the walls magnolia. It's a little less harsh on the camera, I think.

I have 42 sheets of flooring arriving tomorrow, as well.

Attachments

• P1030165.JPG
    P1030165.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 1,162
  • P1030166.JPG
    P1030166.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 1,162
  • P1030167.JPG
    P1030167.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 1,162
  • P1030170.JPG
    P1030170.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 1,162
  • P1030169.JPG
    P1030169.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 1,162
  • P1030171.JPG
    P1030171.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,162
  • P1030172.JPG
    P1030172.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,162
I'd asked for the flooring any time after 10am. At 8.45 the phone went. "I'll be with you in five minutes." Fortunately I was up and about and functioning reasonably well, so it wasn't a problem. He dropped them on the drive and went off. Ray arrived.

Well we figured that it would be best to finish the first coat on the ceiling first, then we could move the scaffolding back to make it easy to carry in the flooring. So that's what we did.

And then we carried 10 or so sheets down from the drive to the workshop. And then... Disaster! These boards were from two different batches and not at all the same colour. Now colour is not part of the specification, so I can't claim that they were faulty, but I certainly don't want a two-tone floor. So I rang up and they were fine about it. They would replace the whole order out of a new pack.

We carried the boards back up the drive and carried on painting.

Middle of the afternoon and the phone rings. The driver is at the front door with a replacement order. So he pics up the mixed batch, hoists them into the air..... and stops. His machine has packed up with 42 sheets of chipboard flooring dangling 10 ft up in the air over the road. It took him a while to fix it, long enough for me to find my camera and then some.

P1030173.JPG

So then we had to get them all down to the workshop before it got dark, which we managed, just, but my back is now knackered. Of course, Ray practically runs with the boards.

So that little episode set up back a bit, we've done the ceiling all bar the same area that was left Barbie pink yesterday. We would have done it all if everything had gone according to plan.

I can't think of another way to make a white ceiling look exciting, other than to tell you that after two coats it does look good.

Ray is back again tomorrow, but has told me that for the rest of the painting I'm on my own. He wants a break, and who can blame him?

So if you find yourself fed up with turkey and the kids and want some man-play.....

Attachments

• P1030173.JPG
    P1030173.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 1,050
Back