Steve Maskery’s Workshop Essentials, a review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to review Steve's DVDs and here it is!!

Keith

“Right first time every time” is the phrase Steve Maskery uses throughout these two DVDs and it is true that for absolutely repeatable results many woodworking processes are better undertaken with one jig or another. Steve is well known for his jig making skills and here he imparts some of his knowledge in an entertaining and informative way. It is obvious that he has put a terrific amount of time and effort into producing these films and he puts many other instructional videos to shame with his clear sound and pictures.

Steve starts each section by demonstrating the particular jig, explaining its features and the logic behind the design. He then demonstrates every detail of making each jig, again explaining the hows and whys as he completes each stage.

Main contents;

Disk 1

Jig making tips
Saw setting gauge
Pencil gauge
Router table tenon jig
Vertical self centring tenon jig

Disk 2

Push sticks
Mortising jig
Cross mortise jig
Outfeed table

In addition, both DVDs have a number of quick tips which range from dividing a cylinder to a solution for forgetfulness when taking measurements.

One problem for me with video instruction compared to books or magazines is that by the time I get to the workshop I’ve forgotten exactly what I was supposed to be doing. Steve has solved this problem by including drawings of each jig on the DVDs. These are recorded in pdf format so can easily be read and printed with Acrobat reader; most computers will already have this installed, otherwise it is free to download off the internet. He has also provided drawings on Sketchup (a 3D drawing program) these drawings are in 3D and it is very easy to revolve the image and look at the jigs from any angle. Sketchup is also free to download off the internet, instructions are given with the DVD.

Workshop Essentials is available from www.workshopessentials.com each volume is available separately at £19.99 each or volumes 1 and 2 can be purchased together for £36.99.

I have both DVDs and as a VERY new newcomer and I'm now hunting for scraps of hard and softwood to make some of the jigs he shows. He does explain his fashion sense but it is a bit hard on the eyes for a while (Sorry Steve :oops: )

Another Keith (not a conspiracy .....honest)

Latest posts

Back