Stationary belt/disc sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my probably skewed perspective, which could be the same as a clients one..
I'm probably wrong on this, but have a point somewhere...

I think were going back to the good ol days.
With the really good information freely available today, in forums and videos,
most furniture makers...(the ones thats in it for the long haul)
are getting into hand tools more and more.

A lot to do with advertising from both ends...
The fact that it often comes up on here people using "modern" low angle BU planes for face grain with a steeply honed bevels :D
If they have one of these, they often have a shooting board...or they will in future.
Its the perception of having all the gadgets will be necessary, adds a general feng shui because you know you can deal with
end grain easily now
and the fact it looks impressive to your client if they ever drop by...or your doing your work through Youtube/facebook ect.

I'm not sure, but I think a lot of people wanting refined furniture, want to be involved slightly
and be equally impressed and a bit fussed over from the're perspective from looking at Youtube videos...
They might expect to see the tools that they've seen in the videos
Normally these videos are made with the best up to date 4K cameras, and the tools are as fancy.
No harm in that though, as it hopefully gives an insight to the customer, how much this costs...

I wonder how many people who buy furniture would actually make it in a different life...
It takes a love of wodo, ahem! ... sorry "wood" was what I meant to say :D
The cost and impressiveness/overwhelm-ness of it all, might put them off

Rant over, sorry about the derailment there (hammer)

Tom

This thread has become amusing.I haven't seen anybody that earns a living by woodworking using a shooting board since the seventies-not saying they don't exist,just wondering why they might do it.In the same time frame I have seen hundreds of people using disc sanders and almost all have extraction.I have seen precisely two people with "prestige brand" low angle block planes and one of those is no longer earning a living by working with wood.If its a hobby you can please yourself but if you are earning a crust (and in some cases a pretty meagre crust) you have to be efficient to ensure commercial survival.

Back