Sliding Disc/Belt Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianc

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of mounting my Disc/Belt sander on my mitre saw bench so that it slides back out of the way when not needed. A quick search for ideas on YouTube was unsuccessful so I wondered what suggestions might appear here, I'm sure someone will have done something similar before?

Any ideas?

I like the flip-top idea but I don't have the space for a mobile cart just yet. I want to mount the sander on a sliding tray/drawer thing that's fixed to the top of my existing top so that it can be moved out of the way when not in use.

The photo shows where it would be when stored so I can slide it towards the front of the bench.
Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 12.43.52.png

Does it need a "mechanism"? - my disc/belt sander is pretty heavy and stays where you park it on the bench when in use (the movement is similar - just pulling it from against the wall to nearer the front of the bench) I guess if it did move in use then mount it on a board with an edge that can be clamped to the edge of the bench when in use.

If u want a bit of fun....
how about a shelf that lifts down on those pressurised hydraulic rams used on tailgates....
they are also used in high wardrobes ....with shirts etc on hangers....
the machine sits level all the time but the linkage/frame moves down n out.....
the above rams balance the weight on the return higher up the wall....
like I say ....just a bit of fun.....

You have the wall height and it is clear, that would allow the sander to be mounted "pendulum saw" style. Swing it to you and lock it in place, do the sanding, swing it back to sit until next time. You only need some wood, a couple decent sized gate hinges and a pin to drop in a hole in the bench.

Pete

Whilst your at it, you could consider mounting it sidewards converting it to an edge sander, with a half spindle function,
which might be a lot more useful.

Under mounted drawer runners and a platform with something to lock in place once pulled out- I’d probably use an offcut the right length that braces against the wall while I came up with something better and then never get round to the something better, and just paint the stick so I don’t confuse it for junk and chuck in the firepit

Does it need a "mechanism"? - my disc/belt sander is pretty heavy and stays where you park it on the bench when in use (the movement is similar - just pulling it from against the wall to nearer the front of the bench) I guess if it did move in use then mount it on a board with an edge that can be clamped to the edge of the bench when in use.
Nice and simple (y) A classic case of overthinking things on my part...

Back