Startrite Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

I've looked at this saw and the condition is excellent, but before I put in a bid, do you think this saw is OK? and what do you think the upper limit should be?

Many thanks for any advise,

Colin

Hi Colin

Could you point me in the right direction, please? (URL?) Then maybe I, or someone else could assist.

Scrit

Please see below - this post has been enhanced, illustrated and reposted

Scrit

Evening,

Many thanks for that information. It's good to get an experts' opinion of something like this.
As you say, there will be others and trying to titivate this one wouldn't be worthwhile and as this is for hobby/home use it isn't too desperate time-wise.

Again,
Many thanks,

Colin

Note: This is a reposting

Hi Colin

It's a Startrite TA/SP 175 DS and it appears to be incomplete. If it has a 1.5kW (2HP) motor it is the 10in version NOT the 12in (TA/SP 275) and will be a bit gutless with a 12in blade in. It has one table extension to the right of the cast-iron table which should be sheet steel. I can't see the mitre gauge anywhere (they were supplied as standard). The more desireable version had optional extended table bars called "stick-mike" extensions like this:

StartritewithStickMike.jpg

StartriteTaSp.jpg

A standard TA/SP275 would look something like this with the original (short) extension tables left and right:

StartriteTASP275950Feb06.jpg

The "stick-mike" versions are somewhat less common. The ends of the rip fence bars on your example are where the sliding carraige assembly was originally fitted, but there is now no carraige and they aren't easy to retrofit as the factory supplied them fitted to the individual machines (always assuming you could find the table, crosscut fence, outrigger, etc). Pity about that. This shot from Startrite's leaflet of 1978 clearly illustrates this:

StartritewithCarraige.jpg

The crown guard on your example is also non-original and the machine has been repainted (in the wrong green) and lost it's Startrite front badge, possibly because the DS badge would have stated that it was a DS? Startrite used a metallic green with a decidedly yellow tinge to it, like the rather nice examplehere which went for quite a low price.

That one was all original and complete and you can see the price it fetched (£530 - low). I'd expect a good 275 to be in the £550 to £800 range on a private sale, with the "stick-mike" extensions adding a bit more (say £80 to £100) and with the DS fetching £150 to £300 more again. Dealers tend to ask more, but they have to do a PAT test and fit a brake as well as give a guarantee like Keighleys. 175s are going to be a bit cheaper, say £50 to £100 because of the smaller capacity.

You may also find larger table saws called TA300 or TA300PS. The PS indicates a scribing blade is fitted. These were basically an enlarger TA275 with a ground steel table (rather than a cast-iron one), much larger carraige, larger right hand extension table, rear run-off support and much improved rip fence with a sliding section (also fitted to very late TA/SP saws). Just before they closed-down Startrite did build a version of this saw called the TA1250 which I believe utilised a cast-iron table.

StartriteTA12501750Feb06.jpg

These machines are only capable of cross-cutting 4 ft sheets and are large machines to locate in a garage if abnyone is thinking about one.

Colin, I'd mark your TA quite a down a bit for the reasons given. You'll struggle to find a replacement carraige and the machine is much more useable with both the extensions fitted rather than just the one. Look at the illustrations above and you'll see what I mean. Personally I'd avoid it unless he'll part with it for a very low amount - there's too much missing/wrong with it and better examples come up from time to time.

Hope that helps

Scrit

Latest posts

Back