Startrite Saw.....What's this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked this up yesterday and the saw was originally a 240v single phase saw, but appears to have been converted to 3 phase at some time in its life.
On the back of the saw, it has this box mounted on it.......Can anyone shed any light as to what it may be?

I will post a few more pictures of what's inside the box tomorrow when I get the saw unloaded from my van.
On first opening that box, to me it resembled part of the controls of the Starship Enterprise!.....😁😁

362980199_6399544646819524_3573091778910024503_n.jpg
361491377_7253197688045474_5222037388144260968_n.jpg

Yeap looks 415v buddy!

That's a bummer!

Can you get a picture of the motor itself as it maybe a dual voltage 240 / 415v motor.

Yeap looks 415v buddy!

That's a bummer!

Can you get a picture of the motor itself as it maybe a dual voltage 240 / 415v motor.

I tried to get close enough to the motor plate to take a picture of it yesterday, but the saw was stored in a rather inaccessible postion at the time.
Having said that, from what I could see, I think it is a dual voltage motor.....
I managed to get the saw for a good price and have been generously given a 240v single phase motor by another member of this Forum, so I intend to convert it back to 240v single phase.

I'll take a few more pics tomorrow.

In the meantime, if any motor guru's recognise the Grey box and what its function is, I would be grateful. 👍

Edit.
There is a normal 13amp socket mounted on the side of the Grey box ( as can be seen in the picture) which may have been utilised as a power take off for an extractor perhaps....? I'm just guessing 🤔
There seems to be a lot of buttons/switches on the Grey box and there is also a normal looking NVR push button stop/start switch mounted on the front of the saw.

Last edited:
Clean the legend plates on the push buttons, take a clearer photograph, someone will be able to work out what does what. Look forward to a clearer picture.

Take the cover off the motor terminal box. If there is only a live and neutral entering, it is single phase. If there are three phase wires (plus earth), it is not. That might be easier than trying to photograph a dirty, inaccessible plate.

---

You do not say in your post how the saw connects to the wall outlet. Knowing what comes into the saw and knowing what goes into the motor would allow a much better analysis of what must happen in the middle.

Last edited:
Here are a few more pictures......The first picture may help explain my Starship Enterprise comment...!😁

20230731_083517.jpg
20230731_083528.jpg
20230731_083537.jpg
20230731_083555.jpg
20230731_083614.jpg
20230731_083748.jpg

I'll try and take a picture of the motor plate once I've cleaned out the inside of the saw....

I think what you have there is a starter/ dc injection braking unit that also monitors the safety gates and external estop circuit. Not easily convertable to single phase working.

You do not say in your post how the saw connects to the wall outlet. Knowing what comes into the saw and knowing what goes into the motor would allow a much better analysis of what must happen in the middle.

Here is a picture of the 3 phase plug & cable that came with the saw and it enters the Grey box directly.

I'm pretty sure the motor is dual voltage but is a 3 phase motor.......The single phase 240v motors are slightly longer and the 3 phase motors are shorter......This motor is the short one.

16907935978972955250210556481693.jpg

I think what you have there is a starter/ dc injection braking unit that also monitors the safety gates and external estop circuits.......

Ya know Johnwa,.....That's exactly what I thought it was!.......😂😂😂

Thanks Johnwa. 👍

As I said in post#5, I have been given a 240v single phase motor from a member of this Forum, so I will just remove the Grey box, the 3 phase motor and all subsequent wiring & switches and return it to how it was configured when it was made over 60 years ago.

Is the Grey box etc any use to anyone here...? I'm assuming that some of the settings inside there can be adjusted to suit different motors/ machines, so it would be a shame for it just to sit idle.

I'm pretty sure the motor is dual voltage but is a 3 phase motor...

Yes. The photo of the data plate proves that. Blame Brooks for riveting it on upside down.

The five pin plug on the cable suggests that the neutral is needed - and that is backed up by your description of the 13A single phase outlet on the grey box. Hence, needing three phases at 415v and a neutral means any supply to it other than directly from the grid would be difficult. Thus the single phase option you are pursuing seems the best in the circumstances.

Yes. The photo of the data plate proves that. Blame Brooks for riveting it on upside down.

The five pin plug on the cable suggests that the neutral is needed - and that is backed up by your description of the 13A single phase outlet on the grey box. Hence, needing three phases at 415v and a neutral means any supply to it other than directly from the grid would be difficult. Thus the single phase option you are pursuing seems the best in the circumstances.

Thanks #ChaiLatte 👍

Here's a picture of the dual voltage 3 phase motor next to a 240v single phase motor......The taller motor on the right is the single phase one.
It's a straight swop mechanically, I just need to decide whether to put an original MEM push button starter on it ( as would have been fitted when the saw was new) or a modern starter with NVR and overload protection....?

16908041550125879956934211329948.jpg

...I just need to decide whether to put an original MEM push button starter on it or a modern starter with NVR and overload protection.

The older one will look right.

It may be possible to use the mechanical (switching) parts of the MEM one, hide the modern stuff inside somewhere and allow the younger generation to take care of the electrical bit. It is a lot easier if the MEM green button is a momentary one.

The older one will look right.

It may be possible to use the mechanical (switching) parts of the MEM one, hide the modern stuff inside somewhere and allow the younger generation to take care of the electrical bit. It is a lot easier if the MEM green button is a momentary one.

Unfortunately, the original style MEM switch/enclosure i have, is too small to get a modern contactor and overload inside....
I'll cross that bridge once the saw has been refurbished as it's one of the last things to fit.

Latest posts

Back