Startrite Mini advice needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there guys, i’ve just purchased a Strartrite Mini combination machine for my small workshop, and was wondering if any of the members could give me any info as to there Quality and accuracy. I thought I’d start a thread now as the machine is due to be delivered at the end of the week and I imagine I’ll also need some advice during the setup. Thanks in advance, Darren.

Attachments

• 1B88B144-3808-4021-B48C-D35DE0CB34BD.jpeg
    1B88B144-3808-4021-B48C-D35DE0CB34BD.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 25
  • 0292B7BD-63BC-4168-9A66-A9A26323E7C1.jpeg
    0292B7BD-63BC-4168-9A66-A9A26323E7C1.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 7DE8C6D3-CF43-4F9E-8FD6-33B0816DE5E0.jpeg
    7DE8C6D3-CF43-4F9E-8FD6-33B0816DE5E0.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 715F7CAA-76A1-4BA7-A279-DF3EB398449F.jpeg
    715F7CAA-76A1-4BA7-A279-DF3EB398449F.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 24
Hi Darren, you wouldn't have bought it if I'd got there first! (No worries though, I have bought the saw and planer as separates, and also waiting for delivery). They are modest size but really good Inca machines, Swiss design and accuracy. The neat thing about the Startrite badged version is that the motor is shared between the machines and you slide it over from one to the other.

They are medium size machines of high quality and accuracy. The saw blade is 200 mm, which limits you to about 55 mm depth of cut, The saw table is not huge so you won't want to try cutting large sheets, and as the table moves up and down rather than the saw blade, it's not easy to fit in/outfeed tables as they'd have to rise and fall too. They have a rep of being simple and reliable. The main thing to look at is the bearings - they are about the only thing that may need changing.

The accessories are very good also. The mitre slot is an unusual dovetail design, but is thereby very precise. The blade also takes wobble washers to allow slot cutting (and there is even a moulder accessory, but if that is not included you probably won't find one).

Keep in touch and post pics of the work you do on it, and I will do likewise. A few other members here have Inca machines.

Keith

One of the lads on arbtalk has a combination kitty for sale and can pass on marks details if it helps anyone.Not advertising it just to add and the thread is about similar machines.

Hi Darren, you wouldn't have bought it if I'd got there first! (No worries though, I have bought the saw and planer as separates, and also waiting for delivery). They are modest size but really good Inca machines, Swiss design and accuracy. The neat thing about the Startrite badged version is that the motor is shared between the machines and you slide it over from one to the other.

They are medium size machines of high quality and accuracy. The saw blade is 200 mm, which limits you to about 55 mm depth of cut, The saw table is not huge so you won't want to try cutting large sheets, and as the table moves up and down rather than the saw blade, it's not easy to fit in/outfeed tables as they'd have to rise and fall too. They have a rep of being simple and reliable. The main thing to look at is the bearings - they are about the only thing that may need changing.

The accessories are very good also. The mitre slot is an unusual dovetail design, but is thereby very precise. The blade also takes wobble washers to allow slot cutting (and there is even a moulder accessory, but if that is not included you probably won't find one).

Keep in touch and post pics of the work you do on it, and I will do likewise. A few other members here have Inca machines.

Keith
Hi there Keith, apologies for piping you to the post on that one haha. Thanks for all the info Iam really looking forward to it arriving. I presume the bearings are those on the saw arbour and the planner block? I spoke to the previous owner this morning and he says it’s fully working and has been run recently. I was planning to strip it down first and check over the moving components just to be on the safe side. I wasn’t aware the table movers vertically as opposed to the blade, that’s a first for me haha but iam sure I can adapt a small out feed bed to suit. I’ll keep you posted as i progress. The dovetail slot for the crosscut fence sounds very interesting as Play in that area is always a common gripe! I make a range of free standing hardwood furniture so to have the slightly wider planner is going to save me hours of time flattening boards by hand. When you say the motor slides across to operate the different parts, I guess that’s just a case of moving over a belt? Any way it’s due tomorrow arrive tomorrow so I can have a play. Thanks again. Darren.

Hi Darren, yes it is the saw arbour and planing block bearings, and it sounds as it they are perfectly OK, but something you might look at if the precision seems out. As I understand it, to change from planer to saw or vice versa, you slacken the belt (which looks simple), remove it from the driven pulley, slide the motor sideways then re-hook and re-tighten the belt in its new position.

I haven't seen a manual for the combo Startright version, but manuals for the saw and planer as separate entities are attached, below. I agree the dovetail sounds very interesting, and incidentally it fits the Inca bandsaw also (a plus for me). The trouble is that the slides are like hen's teeth if you want to make any extra jigs. I hope to set up my milling machine to do the job but it isn't simple.

Don't worry about pipping me! I was looking out for a Startright Mini, but managed to find separate units, which are now on their way from Croatia! Separates will actually be a bit easier to fit into my workshop anyway.

It sounds as if it will suit your needs very well. It would suit a kitchen cabinet maker less well, as it isn't designed for large sheets.

Keith

Attachments

• kreissaege_universal.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 1
  • inca planer hobelmaschine132.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Croatia blimey! Well am glad to here I have a fellow woodworker starting from the same point. Thanks for sending over those instructions, that’s great! I’ll send some shots when iam up and running.....very exciting!

in the early days had similar sort of machine, think it was French...?..
in the end put an extra motor inside + the nec switch gear......just enough room as I remember it.....
the so nice to use......just outgrew it....

Darren, you may find this link to an old Inca catalogue (just sent to me from USA) useful, as it gives a lot of operating details of the tools.

Darren, you may find this link to an old Inca catalogue (just sent to me from USA) useful, as it gives a lot of operating details of the tools.

Hadn't seen the saw before but was offered one in a Cromer junk shop last week.....
Good bit of kit?
Cheers Andy

That’s brilliant Keith thanks for that, mine arrived yesterday looks in great condition and is perfect. Am well chuffed with it, just need to get some new saw blades and planner knifes and iam cooking on gas......maybup date the on/off switch for safety also.

Hadn't seen the saw before but was offered one in a Cromer junk shop last week.....
Good bit of kit?
Cheers Andy

Andy, excellent kit for the smaller, more precise jobs. Quite a cult following, especially in the USA. I'd snap their hand off. I'll still be doing the bigger jobs on the Wadkin, ripping teak floorboards accurately, etc, and certainly shan't be getting rid of that, but I shall be moving all the smaller stuff (e.g. cutting tenons) to the Inca. Particularly valuable for people with small workshops. Am very chuffed that I have just located a super tenoning jig, moulder holder and set of moulding blades for it from California!

In fact, if you don't want the one in Cromer, please put me in touch with the shop! I'd take it to refurb and sell on.

cheers, Keith

That’s brilliant Keith thanks for that, mine arrived yesterday looks in great condition and is perfect. Am well chuffed with it, just need to get some new saw blades and planner knifes and iam cooking on gas......maybup date the on/off switch for safety also.

That's great news, Darren. But you know the rule, photos or it didn't happen :) !

In fact, if you don't want the one in Cromer, please put me in touch with the shop! I'd take it to refurb and sell on.

cheers, Keith

No, no good to me so in the true spirit of forum friendship you have a text.:cool:
Best way, see things and help distribute to the rightful owner(y)😉
Andy

Back