Startrite Mercury Pillar Drill - no power

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good news is that it’s just an under powered motor.....the bad news is that you need a decent motor and the shaft is highly likely to be imperial.....which is serious money!!
The only other options are to bore out the pulley to a metric standard size, deepen the key way. Buy a metric 5 stage pulley. Turn down the shaft of a metric motor and re cut the Keyway. Or drop probably around £300 on an imperial motor

Thanks deema - I have a Colchester Bantam lathe (you can see it in the first photo I posted) - so I can bore the pulley to a metric size and then I could file the key slot to fit.
Let say now I want to replace the motor with a 1 HP capacity - what's the best place to buy that in the UK?
Thanks - Paul.

Hi I see your in Worthing pop along to gandmtools in Ashington (a warehouse full of superb mainly used stuff) they might have just what you need
cheers

I called G&M tools they dont have any single phase motors in stock at this time.
So I've just bought a new 0.75 KW / 1 hp motor off eBay. I checked all the diamentions and it should fit OK with a bit of fettling. As above I'll can bore out the original pulley to the new shaft size of 19mm O/D and create a keyway using files.
Thanks for everyones input and help - solved my issue.
I'll let you know when the new motor is fitted and the results.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143028477039Regards - Paul

Last edited:
I share a number of confusions expressed by others. I think from the 1450 rpm it is safe to assume it is an induction motor. But then the plate says 0.25kw (0.33 hp) and yet the voltage x current indicates ~600w which is a nominal 0.8 HP - yes, I know I've omitted power factor, etc, but it is the ball park figures we are interested in. Anyhow that is a bit of a red herring.

The other thing that is odd is the ease of stalling. Am I right in assuming from the ease of stalling that the motor doesn't get up to full revs? The whole point of an induction motor is that it effectively synchronises with the mains frequency, and suggests either that there is a centrifugal switch that is stuck or that the capacitor has a run section that that has lost its capacitance.

I would contact AEG ansd see if they can come up with some information from their records on that motor type

https://www.aeg.co.uk/support/contact-us-form/

Back