Startrite Mercury Drill Arbor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinmc

Reaction score
New to me startrite mercury and really keen to see if i can use Morse Taper bits.
I've followed threads on here and used the collar to remove the chuck. I've seen some posts suggesting the arbor is machined onto the spindle and others saying you can remove it and replace with a morse taper. There was a pin through the top collar which may be holding the arbour or maybe it is just to prevent the collar from turning?? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6542.JPEG
    IMG_6542.JPEG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6544.JPEG
    IMG_6544.JPEG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6545.JPEG
    IMG_6545.JPEG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6546.JPEG
    IMG_6546.JPEG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
You cannot use morse taper in a Startrite Mercury, any other suggestions are…..well, tosh

I almost certain the 10 speed ones with gerabox you can but its starting to look very likely the 5 speed one doesnt

this is a picture of one currently on sale on ebay - im almost certain this takes a morse taper

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 0
You cannot use morse taper in a Startrite Mercury, any other suggestions are…..well, tosh

I would suggest you need to be very specific with your statement and limit its applicability to the five speed models only. Otherwise, you risk becoming a tosher yourself.

See:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/startrite-drills/page2.html
In order to provide a fully rounded picture, it would be useful to mention the optional extra attachment for the five speed model that allowed use of 1 Morse items.

So is this an attachment you could buy still I wonder looks like it goes onto the tapered end where the chuck comes off?

Attachments

• stratrite.png
    stratrite.png
    60 KB · Views: 0
I would suggest you need to be very specific with your statement and limit its applicability to the five speed models only. Otherwise, you risk becoming a tosher yourself.

See:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/startrite-drills/page2.html
In order to provide a fully rounded picture, it would be useful to mention the optional extra attachment for the five speed model that allowed use of 1 Morse items.
😂😂😂😂
Well you could be right about me being a tosher, wouldn’t be the first time! but the pictures in the start of the thread of his drill are of the 5 speed drill, so I think I’m on safe ground in this one. If the question had been generic about Startrite drills I would indeed have had to eat humble pie.

Back