Startrite bandsaw 351SB or 301SB

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleara

Reaction score
I have recently bought a secondhand Startrite 351 ED-SB/UK-1 which I believe to be more or less identical to the 351SB and the 301SB. The single thrust rod above the deck is badly scored and I have been trying to replace it, so far without success, has anyone found a source of these parts or found an upgrade kit with sealed bearings that fits?
Does anyone know if there should be a thrust rod below the deck? There is no mounting for one on my machine but logically I would have thought it should have one.
I have tried Record power and Machineparts, ALTsaws are investigating.

I have a Startrite 301 and there is a thrust rod below the table iirc. My top thrust rod is scored as well but I just rotated it so that the blade wouldn't be running in the furrow. So far so good...

If it's a similar design to the 352 I have then there should be a rod top and bottom. The reason the end is scored is because the original tungsten tip has come off and the rod is just mild steel. The replacement Startrite parts aren't cheap so what I did was buy some flat tungsten tips from a dealer on fleabay and used JB Weld to stick on the ends of the rods, I left the grooves there to aid adhesion. These work well and last a long time but I made up a couple extra on 10mm steel rod in case and so I can replace quickly.

The tips I use are slightly larger and happen to be square though round will work and being oversize means I can get more adhesive for security.

cheers
Bob

Edit
just been out and taken a couple of quick 'phone pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 77
Replacing those pads on my beloved 352 has been on the round tuit list for too long. Two questions - what search term is most effective at finding the tips on the 'bay and can they be brazed/silver soldered in place of the originals? (I have an irrational dislike for epoxy in such applications).

dickm":338pcrrg said:
Replacing those pads on my beloved 352 has been on the round tuit list for too long. Two questions - what search term is most effective at finding the tips on the 'bay and can they be brazed/silver soldered in place of the originals? (I have an irrational dislike for epoxy in such applications).

I don't see why they can't be brazed but beyond my skills and experience however as I said JB Weld works for me.

I happened to buy solid cutters but if I was doing it again would probably use this type https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-pces-14-x ... SwawpXwBPa which I have for making carbide scrapers and would drill and tap a hole in the rod and use countersink stud along with adhesive.

Plenty of these available.

Thaks for the replies.
Steve, I think the 301 and 301SB are quite different beasties. The SB's are grey and brown but I guess your 301 is green?
A photo of how your rod mounts under the table would be useful or the 352 from Lons if possible. The gap under the table doesn't have space for something more than 8mm in diameter on mine.
As I don't do metalwork brazing tips on rods is beyond me.
The upper rod is 10mm x 90mm and I now have a solid carbide rod on order from Midland Carbides for about £30 delivered, a tad more than I hoped for but it is solid so has two useable ends.

bleara":2jiocei0 said:
Thaks for the replies.
Steve, I think the 301 and 301SB are quite different beasties. The SB's are grey and brown but I guess your 301 is green?
A photo of how your rod mounts under the table would be useful or the 352 from Lons if possible. The gap under the table doesn't have space for something more than 8mm in diameter on mine.
As I don't do metalwork brazing tips on rods is beyond me.
The upper rod is 10mm x 90mm and I now have a solid carbide rod on order from Midland Carbides for about £30 delivered, a tad more than I hoped for but it is solid so has two useable ends.

£30 isn't a lot more than the tipped replacements from Startrite spares so a good buy and you could always flatten the end on a diamond stone if it was marked. Should easily last at least the life of the saw.
The issue on the tipped version isn't wear but rather the tips coming off.

Back