Startrite 403 Bandsaw - Review?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbodger

Reaction score
Hi All,

My First Post:

Anybody out there who has used this new bandsaw?
Travelled 200 mile round trip to finally actually see one in Northern Ireland.

From my brief examination there's four points I'd like opinions on -
(I put these questions to Record Power but was very disappointed by their response which was more towards the don't know/don't care)

1. The tyres seemed completely flat - what about blade tracking?
(I think the tyres might be Carter 'Ultra' urethane - is that true?
If so Carter says it can be replaced by heating the new one in water and stretching over wheel -
unlike, I'm told, for the 401 where you have to send the wheel away and pay for a new one!).

2. Unlike any I've ever seen before, the motor has no rating plate.
Anyone know who's the manufacturer, whether it's continuously rated or what's its guarantee etc?

3. Re blade tensioning - I understand the 'scale' is calibrated for blades of 0.5mm thickness.
What if you're using thicker blades?
I use a 12mm wide by 0.7mm thick blade on my (homebuilt) 12" wheel bandsaw - only size available locally.
What's the recommended max blade thicknesses for 16" wheels (to avoid breakages) and how would tension scale relate?

4. The blade runs at about twice the speed of, say, the Startrite 502E.
What are the advantages of such higher speeds?
What about blade overheating if cutting slowly?
Also, during the motor run up time the initial inrush current would be very high - does it have 'soft start' control?

Otherwise the machine looks like the business!

Many thanks

I would give Scott and Sargeant a ring. They were extremely helpful when I was considering one of these. Clued up and straightforward. 01403 273000

The new Startrite 403 bandsaw has only been around for a few months. Our first batch were sold pretty much straight away and feed back has been good or non existent... Which is also good!. The 403/503 & 603 are made to Record Power/ Startrite design in (my opinion) at the best woodworking factory in China. I have seen other well known Italian and Austrian manufacturers having stuff made there too. The company is really big and they actually have there own motor production plant as well. We have found motor reliability excellent from this factory.... But as with everything mechanical, things do happen.. However you will find Startrite /Record warranty support a cut above anything else out there. You should find the motor data somewhere on the frame.
Not sure about tyre design whether its bonded or not, but that would be a long way down the road. You can always use cut to length rubberised cork for most larger bandsaws ... It can be a pain removing the old stuff though
Modedit: I've removed the link to the website. No commercial activity. Your post is helpful for information for which I don't doubt the OP is grateful, please refrain from any other commercial information.

Thanks scosarg,
I've asked RP's Demonstrator to reply on this website - after he had asked me my tel nr, hoping it might be of interest/benefit to the larger audience in the Forum.

I sent this message to RP -

"As nothing heard from you
I have decided not to further consider buying anything from your company
as if the responses received so far represent your level of interest in customers - PRIOR to sale,
I have to reluctantly conclude that this would be even less if I had a problem AFTER buying".

BTW, their '5-Year Guarantee' commences from the date the machine was sold to their 'authorised retailer' - to whom you must first report any problems or return the machine for examination/repair. Hence, for Northern Ireland residents, buying from a mainland UK retailer is not an option.

Adding to that, as nobody in the Forum seems to own/use a Startrite 403, I'll change tack and have another look at the ACM or SCM competition.

Back