Startrite 352 wiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The external buttons aren't wired, they're just mechanical, but bear on the contactor & overload behind. Also the mechanical interlocks of the machine (brake & doors) are gauged to bear on the internal stop button of the overload. All this is in a fairly confined space. So what you suggest would be rather complex & not really a runner. At least for now, I think that Boris is on the right track.

The issues you have experienced are why it is much easier to just buy new components and then fit and forget, it should be an easy task with it being single phase and if you wanted to keep the original look of the machine with it's starter buttons then just use the buttons and fit a contactor/overload in an enclosure elsewhere with the buttons wired to it.
Yeah that makes sense, I do have a button I could have used but the problems are that the buttons on the machine are simply physical pressure switches (completely made up term to try and describe it) that push the physical switch on the contactor. Also, there's a brake pedal too that I wouldn't be able to use if I went with a new switch. I don't like the idea of being halfway through a big cut and needing to stop the machine but having to take away one hand from the workpiece so want to keep the nice safety features if I can. Thanks for the info though, something to fall back on

The external buttons aren't wired, they're just mechanical, but bear on the contactor & overload behind. Also the mechanical interlocks of the machine (brake & doors) are gauged to bear on the internal stop button. All this is in a fairly confined space. So what you suggest would be rather complex & not really a runner. At least for now, I think that Boris is on the right track.
Ha you beat me by seconds

but having to take away one hand from the workpiece so want to keep the nice safety features if I can. Thanks for the info though, something to fall back on
You could do what I have done to make life easier on the pillar drill, I have a foot switch that now allows me to use both hands to keep things aligned, depress pedal and drill hole and just release to stop which I have found so much better than using a hand to push the button.

You could do what I have done to make life easier on the pillar drill, I have a foot switch that now allows me to use both hands to keep things aligned, depress pedal and drill hole and just release to stop which I have found so much better than using a hand to push the button.
That's another good idea but if I'm going to be working with big bits that requires me to move around and gently feed it through (2.4m long). I'm 6' 3" but I don't think my feet would stretch that far 😂. I may well use that trick on my pillar drill when I upgrade from my pathetic tabletop one.

The correct parts finally came through and after carefully swapping them out and testing in stages - first the switch only, then motor not engaged with the wheels. Finally I sorted all the alignment and am happy to report it's running as it should. Did a test run on a 100mm thick post and it slipped through it like butter tracking straight.

Thanks so much for the extra help and advice given, I'm now the owner of a bandsaw with all the safety features. 👍🏻

Back