Startrite 14-S-1: fence and extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJM

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just picked up Startrite 14-S-1 bandsaw for the princely sum of £60, I‘ve a couple of queries for owners of this and similar Startrite models:

1. The fence is missing, so I obviously need to fit one. I’ve seen a number of positive comments about the original item, with micro-adjust; is it worth seeking out?

2. I’m assuming that extraction on these is as good as any bandsaw, ie woeful. I was thinking of something along the lines of Steve Maskery’s 32mm waste pipe add-on (thanks Steve!). Has anyone had success with another system?

I’ll probably add wheels. If there are any other recommended modifications or add ons to these saws, I’m all ears; with modest outlay so far, there’s a little money in the budget to “pimp” this one.

Hi I work for whats left of Startrite

You got an amazing deal there

The rip fences on that machine are solid, cast, with a great micro adjustment

Dust extraction is ok if you use a Startrite extractor made for the job although they are discontinued, problem with your machine is you could have a square or round outlet, if you have round it shouldnt be a problem

please visit

www.machinespares.net

Thanks Jimmy,

Definitely a bargain; bought as spares or repair, but everything turns freely and smoothly, there’s very little wear on the tyres and the table is in good order. A few threads need to be freed up, but I’m not expecting too much drama. I’ve not powered it up yet, but even if a new motor and wiring is required, I’ve still got a bargain.

Mine has a rectangular extraction point. I guess a homemade adapter to take a standard round hose will be the way to go.

3 phase motors are relatively cheap, 1 phase can be pricey for a good one

S-1s are solid machines, no gearboxes so servicing them is just a matter of changing out bearings

You have an old school model, probably 50s/60s maybe 70s, Startrite never logged serial numbers so hard to tell unless the dates on the plate,

You deffo paid Asda price for a Rolls Royce

Absolutely! I’ve basically paid the scrap price for it. I’ve got my hands on the correct Startrite 5 step pulley to convert it, for £50, I’ve an Axminster fence gathering dust that cost £116, and will be playing motor musical chairs, the result of which will be a 1ph 1.5hp motor in this.

Total spend £226 plus some new blades

Back