Starting out - Supply problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixoticgeek

Established Member
Reaction score
After many years building things using ply and pine, I would like to progress to making things with native hardwoods.

I did a search of local timber suppliers, and have found places that will sell to mortals, but all of them only do planks of 1 inch thickness of greater.

The things I want to make are all relatively small, for which 1" thick planks are massively overkill. Where can I get affordable planks of Oak/beech in thickness of less that an inch?

Thanks

Julia

Unfortunately, it is not very often that the words 'affordable' and 'hardwood' can be used in the same sentence.

However, try Timberline of Tonbridge in Kent - not a million miles from you. Their website offers 'boxmaker's wood' in a range of thicknesses, sawn and finish sanded. It's in the 'timber' section of the site, which is www.exotichardwoods.com (or google!). They don't seem to do many native hardwoods, but there may be something to get you started.

Hope that helps.

Most timber yards will only stock min 1" thickness is sawn Hardwood but you may get PAR from 19-21mm.

Maybe its time to by a bandsaw if you don't already have one.

Another major + for Timberline.

The guy in charge is really helpful and sells small pieces in various species (AH! A POET!)....for luthiers and the like.

It is a wonderful place to browse!

Jim

One of the good things about France is that the standard sawn timber thicknesses are better than in the UK.

Eg. 27mm thickness will often give 7/8" planed: much better than the bare 3/4" you end up with in the UK.
And best of all, 18mm sawn. Perfect for elegant drawer sides without wastage!

The response from UK sawmills to anything less than 25mm tended to be 'we can plane it down to any thickness you require'. Not at all economical!

Sawyer":376izq5j said:
One of the good things about France is that the standard sawn timber thicknesses are better than in the UK.

Eg. 27mm thickness will often give 7/8" planed: much better than the bare 3/4" you end up with in the UK.
And best of all, 18mm sawn. Perfect for elegant drawer sides without wastage!

The response from UK sawmills to anything less than 25mm tended to be 'we can plane it down to any thickness you require'. Not at all economical!

Or cheap

I have never seen hardwood in France but I have never been impressed with there standard softwood from places like Brico Depót Its terrible stuff.

Wouldn't know where to get hardwood from in France come to think of it.

Back