Stanley plane repairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've a number of US made Stanley planes in need of some TLC. The biggest problem is parts for my #3, which seem scarce. Does anybody know of a source?

Also, has anyone got long-term experience of the quality of the Faithful totes? I can't find any reference to the wood from which they're made; anyone know for sure??

Thanks very much,

L

Many of the (new) Stanley spares can be found on ebay.
For old spare parts, the best approach is to visit or phone old tool dealers (bearing in mind that taking photos of odd screws to list them on-line is not a good source of income, so expect to wait while they rummage for you.) The best list of old tool dealers is on Alf's website here:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/tooldealers.html

Depending on which bits you need, our Tools for Self Reliance group may be able to help. Normally all tools go to Africa but no3s are a bit light, so we end up with a few planes and some spares. All the proceeds pay for tool shipment, which is increasingly expensive. PM me if interested .

Thanks all,

That's some useful guidance; in particular, I hadn't considered the point that it's not viable to list all the little bits and pieces stocked by old tool dealers. It's obvious really!

Back