Stanley number 71 router plane new in box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
I found this English made and probably rather late Stanley n:eek: 71 at the great annual flea market in Nykarleby and got it for an affordable prize.

Is this a collectors item or should I do as intended and just put it to use?
I just want to check that I don't destroy any money by putting it to use. Money is scarce and shouldn't be destroyed.

Prices on eBay are oddly high for these and have been for a while.

But if you sell it, you'll only get enough to buy one!

I'd keep it and use it if I were you.

I found a 71 that had been in a school, it was a later model boxed and complete (bar the fence screw) only paid £10 for it on here, mine gets used all the time. I have kept the box though.

Matt

I would place it in an auction site with a reserve. If it sells for oodles use the money to buy another and keep the difference. It wouldn't uprise me or it to sell for more than say a Veritas equivalent (I sold my record a couple of years ago and did exactly that)

heimlaga":3uwzcrn1 said:
I found this English made and probably rather late Stanley n:eek: 71 at the great annual flea market in Nykarleby and got it for an affordable prize.

I just want to check that I don't destroy any money by putting it to use. Money is scarce and shouldn't be destroyed.

Does it still have all its parts, the three cutters, the fence, the depth stop? If it has all these, plus the original box, plus the original instruction sheet then you can regularly buy them on Ebay for under £50. If it's missing any of these and is just the basic tool with the large cutter, then it can be bought for £20-30.

They're fairly cheap because they were bought in their thousands, and they were so popular because in the days before powered routers they were an absolute essential, core tool. Even today in a primarily power workshop I wouldn't be without both small and a large router planes.

So, the answer to your question is use it! It's not a valuable collectors tool, but it is a fantastically useful tool for the practical furniture maker.

If you have a use for it, use it - it's an excellent bit of kit.
I found that the action of this style of router is made easier with the addition of a wooden base, but that's a personal thing.

Here's a pagefull of info:
http://www.record-planes.com/record-no- ... ter-plane/

If you have the original box, keep it safe, adds to the re-sale value for purists. (UK retailers sometimes pencilled the prices in pre-decimal money on the boxes and will give a good idea of the age, if they have.)

Thanks

It is compele with all parts but without the instruction leaflet.

I have another number 71 with one worn out cutter left and the depth stop broken off and a home made fence. I like the old one a lot and use it every now and then but when I found a new one for the prize of the cutters I just couldn't resist it.

heimlaga":1scsornj said:

Dang never found anything like that myself when I was there. Were you on friday perhaps, maybe it's the best day togo, perhaps the best deals are gone by saturday.

Back