Stanley no.4 Knob and Handle - ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a vinatge Stanley no.4 smoothing plane earlier this week (£16, eBay) and I'm looking for some advice on re-finishing the knob and handle.

56492990-6d73-02000180-.jpg

Overall, it's still in very good, usable working order. The blade was still pretty sharp and all. A quick cleaning with some light oil and 400g wet & dry and pretty much all the surface rust is gone.

56493000-693b-02000180-.jpg

56493015-e43c-02000180-.jpg

I'm afraid I can only assume these are only rosewood or boxwood or something. So, is a simple 'wax and polish' remover the best way to start this off, using wire wool to applicate it?

And then, to touch it up again, what sort of finish am I looking for their, please?

Thanks for all your help. :)

Stained beech in all likelihood, lacquered with Stanley's patented "craze-a-wayz" finish. :roll: :lol: It's a bit of a judgement call, this one. On the whole, bearing in mind the value is minimal, finish them how you fancy. On the other hand you've got quite a bit of finish there and I have, occasionaly, had good luck in wiping on a little shellac and kinda melding in old and new finish. With basket cases I've been known to scrape right back to bare wood; re-stained with, erm, dark oak I think and a dash of mahogany for warmth to recreate a similar colour; then shellac to finish. Others prefer oil and wax, but I like shiny... :oops:

Incidentally "only rosewood or boxwood"?! :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Hi
I do quite a few of these and I always find it easier to scrape the old finish off first. ( I use an old plastic utility knife with extendable blade that is not too new). Mostly the old finish comes off in large pieces. I then sand lightly all over. On front knobs I sometimes put it in a drill and rotary sand then finish with the grain.
Wipe off with white spirit and allow to dry.
Sometimes I wipe on a coat of red spirit dye neat from the bottle, sometimes leave as is.
Then two heavyish coats of shellac, not too brushed out but not runny either.
Leave overnight in warm.
Knock back heavily with 000 steel wool.
Two more lighter coats shellac, applied quickly but brushed out a bit.
Leave overnight in warm.
Knock back gently with 0000 steel wool and paste wax then buff with soft cloth.

This gives a lovely satiny shine and lets the wood show through well.

Back