Stanley Compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 24l stanley one which looks the same except slightly different plastic motor cover and mine needs oil (ie not oil free).

Quality wise it is ok. It is a bit small for some of the things I have used it for, (mitre guillotine) but that is not its fault.

The supplied hose is not very good quality and the fittings are non standard, or so I was told at machine mart. I ended up using a short piece if the orange hose to make an adaptor.

Personally I would look for something with the standard quick fit connectors on but if you can live with what it has with it, it isn't bad. When I was looking, the £100 mark would buy a 24L compressor in a range of makes. I don't know whether there was much spec difference between them just that there was plenty of choice.

Thank you. I don't like the idea of non-standard fittings and one of the reviews said that he had bought a decent air line. Perhaps I need to spend more money or forget it.
TVM

Do some research but...

I was told by the bloke in machine mart that their compressors all had standard fittings and were made in Europe.

And I believe that Clarke compressors are better than most other Clarke gear. May be worth a look or a chat if you are near one. They do a vat free day once in a while if you register on the website.

Steve I have one of those but by a different manufacture, Einhell I think. It's okay and that's all I can say about it.
I use it for my air fed mask, being oil free it's one less contaminate for the filters to deal with.
It's loud and gets breathless really quickly.
Because it's small and light it's my away from home compressor, any way, to pump up four flat tyres it was running constantly and we're only talking standard car tyres. I've tried it with my ROS (Mirka, 12-18cfm) and it's got no hope.
I think you may be disappointed.

I have a Clarke ??? ( can't remember which model, but it's blue) with a 50 litre tank and apart from topping up with oil it runs great, had that one about 7 years. I run it in tandem with a Sealey ??? 25 litre tank and that one has also been problem free, had it about 4 years. Combined, I can spray, sand, drill etc. There's not many air tools that I can't run.
When it comes to compressors go for the biggest CFM output and biggest tank you can afford. Read the rating plates as some manufacture claims can be a bit off.

I brought the little Stanley one just for air testing pipe work. And it does have non standard fittings but I just unscrewed them and brought an adapter and screwed a standard one in. A bit of a pain but hay. I already had air lines etc so it was just easier and cheaper to do that than any thing else.

I actually prefer the "NON standard" as you call them , fittings. When I got my first compressor years ago I changed all the fittings on the guns and compressor to the UK PCL fittings as everyone said that's what you should do. Anyway they leaked all the time and were a real pain so a few years back I went back to the original European fittings and haven't had a problem since.

Just ordered another compressor this morning a senco pc1010 lovely little quiet compressor. If you were closer to me Steve you could have bought my big Bostitch compressor ive got two a 240v and a 110v. Might keep the 110v and sell the 240v I don't need 3 lol

The fittings that come with are standard fittings, and are high flow..... Pcl are bigger fittings with a smaller flow. Its just they are more common.

There isn't really a "standard" fitting just different fittings.

Like chippy1970 I've found the Euro fittings best overall - none of mine have ever leaked at all whereas other types did.

I must get mine out of the box and set it up, bought the one from your first link, £37 day before Christmas as it had a scratch on it and further managers discount. I shall only be running nail guns at the moment, and planing on leaving it in the workshop.
May I just add... I love the Senco PC1010 and doubt the Paslode will see much use.
Sorry I haven't helped, but I feel better

I'm tempted by these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-82160 ... 240v/48089
http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-apc-b ... 50mm/91803

The reviews can be summed up as "quite good as far as they go".

Has anyone here got direct experience of these? I know nothing at all about compressors.

TVM
Steve

Sorry to dig up an old thread but it's still relevant.

I'm just about to buy the first one you posted with the 5 accessories.

However what is very worrying that even for a compressor this one is extremely loud at 96dBA?

This can't be right? I've tried looking on the Stanley website but it's useless. Can anyone verify this value as that's just nuts.

That 97db level is not a loudness level, its sound pressure level, not same thing.

Quote from acoustics site.
The human ear is not equally sensitive to sounds (tones) of the same sound pressure levels but different frequencies. This subjective or perceived magnitude of a sound by an individual is called its loudness. The loudness of a sound is not equal with its sound pressure level and differs for different frequencies.

I have one - ear defenders a must and I still jump every time it restarts during a session. Other than that it has served me well.

I bought a Stanley DST 101/8/6 (I think) for running a brad nailer, but I use it for tires, and a blow gun. It has a small tank, 6 litre I think, but it is suited for what I need (brad nailer). Who cares how often it runs as it is only 59dBA. Really quite.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but it's still relevant.

I'm just about to buy the first one you posted with the 5 accessories.

However what is very worrying that even for a compressor this one is extremely loud at 96dBA?

This can't be right? I've tried looking on the Stanley website but it's useless. Can anyone verify this value as that's just nuts.
Have you looked at the Hyundai Compressors, Peter Millard did a review on youtube and I was impressed by how quiet it was, If I remember correctly, he was talking to camera while it was running...something you definitely couldn't do with the makita one I have got, I wouldn't be able to talk to somebody in the same room when it was running!

I've not got one, so can't say first hand, but if it comes time to upgrade, I would definitely look at them first.

I had a Stanley B6CC304SCR523 (or very similar). Worked fine - I changed the connectors to match my tools (a very simple thing to do - unscrew one, screw in replacement).

The only problem I had with it was that it was very noisy. Disturbed the neighbours noisy. Even from inside my garage.

When I reviewed what I used it for it was mostly to power a nailer and occasionally inflate car tyres. Neither of these was done a lot.

My solution was to get a small Senco compressor like this one. I love that it is so small that it can fit easily under a bench so is out of the way most of the time. It is very quiet. It does have a small tank but that's fine for the tasks I need it for. I bought mine as part of a kit which included a very nice quality nailer.

If I wanted more capacity (I wanted to do a lot of spraying), I'd look at the Hyundai compressors @Alli has suggested.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Hyundai Compressors, Peter Millard did a review on youtube and I was impressed by how quiet it was, If I remember correctly, he was talking to camera while it was running...something you definitely couldn't do with the makita one I have got, I wouldn't be able to talk to somebody in the same room when it was running!

I've not got one, so can't say first hand, but if it comes time to upgrade, I would definitely look at them first.
Yeah I have mate. It's certainly on my list of candidates. Thx

I had one of the £100 Stanley 24lt ones. It was so loud I hardly used it.

Have since upgraded to the 50 litre Hyundai silent compressor.

What a difference!!
Just like Peter Millard on YouTube, you can easily talk over it while it is running.
I now use air tools way more. The larger capacity is nice plus twice the output with two pumps and still quiet.

Well worth the money

I had one of the £100 Stanley 24lt ones. It was so loud I hardly used it.

Have since upgraded to the 50 litre Hyundai silent compressor.

What a difference!!
Just like Peter Millard on YouTube, you can easily talk over it while it is running.
I now use air tools way more. The larger capacity is nice plus twice the output with two pumps and still quiet.

Well worth the money
What has the reliability been like as I've seen mixed reviews on that front?

Back