Stanley 5 1/2 Plane acquired

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnoldmason8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks I have just acquired this Stanley 5 1/2 plane which I think is a type 9 (1902-9)

As can be seen it has a low front knob in rosewood which looks original. The rear handle is unfortunately a replacement.
The frog does not have an adjusting screw but it can be adjusted by slackening the screws and tapping into position.
Not surprisingly the plane iron is not original. The lever cap has a "B"( upside down in the photo ) cast in it which seems to be associated with a type 8 but there is none on the body so assume it was old stock when the plane was produced.
I have checked the bottom for flatness and it seems to flat within 0.002" so I will probably just polish it up with Autosol.

I have not yet decided what other restoration to carry out--any suggestions?

Regards----Arnold

I agree it's a type 9. Pity about the rear handle. I'd strip it right down, give the metal parts a through clean with a stiff paint brush with turps sub or other cleaner. If the black paint has largely gone and rust is starting perhaps repaint the black - but only if really necessary. As the rear handle is not original or matching I'd strip it back to bare wood and stain and polish it to match the front knob.

dress the sole how ever you find best, clean body, meths to remove old muck and use sa tooth burst.. then wipe with camellia oil, flat tern and hone iron, maby take a pile to some of the beds to improve function as required, renaissance was tote and know and away you go. using auto sole on the sides and over cleaning its would be a shame but thats personal taste is quess.

TT

Latest posts

Back