Stairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billymears

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to this site, so please do be gentle! I am about to embark on a project in my new house and have to say would love some advice and help. I have to admit i am not a seasoned Tradesman but i am getting a bit sick of the father in law telling me to "come out the way!" and "oh just let me do it!" so i am determined to get this project done myself!!

Please find enclosed a picture of the stairs in case which I want to close due to the arrival of a new addition shortly. I think this is quiet straight forward, ie MDF etc, but any tips wouldn't be missed!
But more pressing is the that i would like to close of under the stairs with a cupboard, so any ideas would be greatly received. I plan to run 2x2 batons on the floor and under the threads leaving the far section for a door into the cupboard.

I hope this makes sense and before i made a mess thought i would seek any assistance or guidance

http://cid-ac4f716775a34886.photos.live ... ifications
[http://cid-ac4f716775a34886.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=play&resid=AC4F716775A34886!131]

many thanks

Tim [http://cid-ac4f716775a34886.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=play&resid=AC4F716775A34886!131]

Hi Tim,
Welcome to the forum! You have been caught by the spam trap and that is why your photo does not appear. You need to make about 3 posts and it should appear then.

Without looking at the photo, I can guess what the job looks like from your description. As you have said 2x2 batons.... I would probably look at using 3x2 as that is what I'd use for a stud wall, although 2x2 will probably do. I would build a frame to fit under the stairs, like a stud wall... Then once fitted cover it with the MDF and possibly some sort of bead or moulding to cover at scruffy gaps.... Alternatively plaster board and plaster over.... Just depends what you want it to look like in the end.

Depending on what size door you want on yor cupboard.... if you want a full size door, consider fitting a door lining. If it is just going to be a "cupboard" then I'd think about incorporating this into your framework.

I hope that helps....

Your linking to a picture in your hotmail sky drive. Which I think would work if you right clicked on the picture an click view image, then copy the address from the address bar.

Failing that sign up for a free account at photobucket and upload there.

cheers i think the link is working now, so if anyone has any ideas and tips it would be appriciated

sorry if this is basic and hope it is not too annoying to people as the standard seems very high here, but it would make a northern lad very happy, i am sure those with difficult father in laws can appreciate!!! :D

You want to display them like this:

Photo%20Oct%2022%2C%2020%2023%2039.jpg

Photo%20Oct%2022%2C%2020%2023%2056.jpg

Photo%20Oct%2022%2C%2020%2051%2036.jpg

Photo%20Oct%2022%2C%2022%2047%2021.jpg

Okay now I see what you mean by you want to close the staircase, as it is an open tread staircase.

First things first I think you know you have to remove all the carpet.

I am not sure on regulations (so you should check), but the step which is called a "tread" should over hang an upright, known as a "riser" by about 25mm. Working on that, I'd guess that the tread below another tread does not finish at the point you'd require to be able to just screw thru the back of a riser into the lower tread. I hope this is making sense :?

So what I'd do is mesure from the top of a tread to the underneath of the next tread. Measure from string to string (side to side). Do this on a few or even all of them. The sizes should match, if the staircase has been made well. If they vary, decide on one or two finished sizes. To make sure you do this job well. I would then contact your local builders merchant or joinery/ cabinet makers shop. Ask for 18mm plywood to be cut for you.

All you have to do then is maybe trim any risers that maybe slightly to big to fit the opening. Setting it back at 25mm for a tread's nosing I'd use Fixing blocks
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Fixit-Blocks/invt/164411 or some other type of bracket. I'd probably put about 6 blocks on each riser, 3 at the top, 3 at the bottom. I'd also use a torpedo level (small level) once fixed to the top to make sure you fix level at the bottom. These blocks will go on underneath the staircase, just to be clear!

I am not sure that this is the professional way to do it, but I think this would by fine to do by a DIYer for your own home.

I hope all that helps you, and as a guide price for 18mm plywood, wickes sell a full sheet at £29.95 inc. VAT. but remember if you decide to get it all pre-cut for you, they will be likley to charge you for cutting it too. If you live in West Midlands area http://www.mahoneysdiy.co.uk/ will do all the cutting free of charge.

Joiner Sim, you are a star that is exactly want i need to confirm/know

cheers

Shame i don't live nearer as i would be down to you like a flash, would rather give my money to someone like you than the big sheds!!!!

Billy, did you get my reply to your message you asked for help as you saw my understairs cupboard on here, so i said any questions just send me a pm but not heard from you.

One piece of advice i would give you is make sure you glue and screw really well any risers you fit , if you dont the the stairs will squeek. When i did my own stairs i pretty much refurbed the whole thing screwed all the exising risers, put new posts rails and spindles , i even had to line the outside string with 6mm mdf as for some reason there was a joint in the string which ive never seen in 20 odd years of being a carpenter :roll:

Chippy

Sorry i have only just seen the pm, sorry new on hear and forgot it was not on this string!!!!! Thanks. I am still in planning stage and have to convert the open staircase at the moment so just working through that, as i need to introduce risers, so i have been told to use lot of fixit blocks!! one quick question, what wood did you use 12mm Ply?

billymears":24pvpay2 said:
Chippy

Sorry i have only just seen the pm, sorry new on hear and forgot it was not on this string!!!!! Thanks. I am still in planning stage and have to convert the open staircase at the moment so just working through that, as i need to introduce risers, so i have been told to use lot of fixit blocks!! one quick question, what wood did you use 12mm Ply?

I didnt have open risers like you have my stairs are traditional treads and risers already. When i put brand new staircases in YES the risers are normally no thicker than 12mm but they go into a slot in the under side of the tread so 12 mm is fine but as yours wont have this slot you will be better off using 18mm ply as its stiffer. I would look into using a pocket hole jig too to screw the ply up into the tread from below. If i can find a picture of what i mean then i will post one.

Chippy

Your a star!, i think you misunderstood my question (not that I am complaining!!! as you information on your last post is brilliant), but when i said 12mm I was referring to your cupboard door. ie what material did you use for the cupboard doors? I presume looking at the picture you plastered the sections either side of the cupboard?

Cheers

Tim

Again not complaining about your last post!! this site is brilliant some many knowledgeable and helpful people!!

Latest posts

Back