Staircase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
These do my head in ](*,) The fact that its 25mm taller than my build area doesnt help . Some WIP pics as im making it .

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

Ill try and take more pics as i go .

JFC

Can I ask a very basic question, please? Why are the routered horizontal housings slightly tapered?

Regards.

They taper so you can fit a wedge behind the riser and the tread , If you look on the last pic you can just see the wedges on the top string .

JFC

Fascinating. Is the friction grip of the wedges the only fixing force? In the last pic, it looks like there's some glue sqeeze out in the middle of the string.

Just trying to improve my knowledge. Might come in handy sometime!

Regards.

No the risers and treads are glued to the string and then the wedges are driven in . The idea of the wedges are to allow for movement over the life of the staircase, if you get a creaking step you just knock the wedge in tighter . There are also glue blocks to go on between the joint on the tread and riser . The whole point of putting this thread up was to show how they are made , i only get one or two a year so its also a point of reference for myself :oops:

Jason

You didn't show the fun bit of getting it up the stairs and through the front door then down the passage way (or for that matter getting it on top of the van on yourr own)....... :wink: Do you want to tell people how you set-out the top step and how you fix in place, or are you just going to keep them guessing?

Scrit

PS How's the spindle going?

Thats my part over with :D Ive got to go back tomorrow because i forgot the glue blocks so ill take some better pics showing detail .
Getting it on top of the van was slowed down abit as some one had let their doggy poo outside my workshop doors so as i slid the straight flight out it attached its self :x luckily it was on the wall string :whistle:
The floor at the top hasn't been trimmed out yet so i notched the top newel over the Trimmer and the builder will put in the trimmings and trimmed later . ( i think i've got that right :lol: )

Latest posts

Back