Stair configuration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senator

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have some stairs to make to fit tight between a wall and studwork but the last four treads at the bottom carry on clear of studwork finishing with a bullnose first tread. This last section is to have an Oak turned newel and some spindles. My question is how to finish this section where the string carries on up between the walls. The handrail and base rail need some kind of finish point. If it was a landing situation it would be a half newel but that doesn't work. I can only think of a second full size newel just clear of the end of studwork but base of turning would need to go down to the floor that's ok but the outside stair string is continuous to the bottom newel and bullnose.
Any opinions or experience of this would be appreciated.

Some pics would be good, but there's loads on this link, which may be of help,--
Regards Rodders

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stair ... HgodWyIAKA

PS, I should have said, perhaps you could pick out a suitable configuration and then work out the details.
Maybe a side handrail fixed on the length of the studwork, up the main flight, and the last 3 treads including the bullnose could have a half newel on the stud wall end, a full newel on the bullnose and a short standard handrail and spindles in between.
Have a butcher and see what turns you on!

Thanks a lot Rodders,
I've thought about it and yes think I've got it now ....... Just wrap the last part of the stairs around slightly so half Newel etc fit centrally against the end of the stud wall just means joining the outside string at that point with a short return to half newel edge. Then whole bullnose Newels and handrail go centrally onto the end of stud wall.
Regards John

Hi
Still trying to get a clear image in my mind of what you're attempting but if you look at my gallery and locate the staircase the same as my avatar pic you will see what i did to finish off a bullnose stair.
My difficulty was because of the turn and having 2 newels very close. I chose to have the single newel on the 2nd tread as shown. If this is of any help please let me know and i can give you more details or post me a drawinv and I'll give it more consideration.

Regards David.

Back