STAINING ISSUES

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steadphil

Reaction score
i am trying to colour match a stool to an exhisting piece of furniture, after trying many different stains the only way to achieve the correct colour depth is to apply several coats of stain, however it says on the tin to only apply one coat of stain to hardwoods. the stain is a rustins wood dye, and I plan to danish oil the piece, and then wax it later, does anyone have any experience of this problem or any advice on increasing the colour depth of satins. as it is a stool i dont want to end up with stain all over at trousers at a later date if the latter coats arent fully absorbed into the timber

Once your stain is dry you should be ok. The only reason i can think of that you may find the stain bleeding through is if you don't apply enough coats of finish to really seal it in.

I'm assuming that the rustins stain you have got is either water or spirit based.

Don't forget that the finish you apply will alter the way that the stain looks, so if possible stain and finish a test piece to give you some idea of the final look.

gavin e

Latest posts

Back