Stail engines,rounders and more.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Squib

I started a thread about these the other day. There is a few links to different makes and a few plans in it.

I am saving up for one of those Ashem trapping planes.

Cheers

I have a couple of Griffin rounder planes and also bought some from Asham. They are both lovely tools to use. getting them to cut sweetly is an art, but very satisfying. The trapping plane from Asham is also a great tool. I made myself a slow lathe based on the one Asham sells. Really good project, and it works! First get your Reliant Robin gearbox, there is not much to it after that.

I thought the 'lathe trapping plane' could be used on a lathe? Might need to re-think my plans...

If your lathe goes at a slow speed you may get away with it, Also i think you will need reverse? Although There may be an option at Asham to get Trapping planes for forward and reverse.. Cant remember now. If you are planing on making thin spindles it is also best to have some sort of steady as they can whip a bit. All in all The Robin gearbox lathe is the best way to go. There are pictures of it on the Asham web site. And you can buy all the bits from him, if you want. Or find them yourself. He is a nice bloke! and i am sure he would help you out.

Yep, there is an 'Lathe Trapping Plane' that works in the opposite direction.

I was thinking of making a slow lathe by taking the base off of an old pillar drill and laying it on its back. Might just work.

I like that idea!! No reason why that wont work. I wish i had thought of it! I like the idea of making things from other peoples cast offs.

Green":3q6zojsj said:
I was thinking of making a slow lathe by taking the base off of an old pillar drill and laying it on its back. Might just work.

That should work. It's more or less what the American firm 'Woodsmith' did in the 80's/90's with their lathe-based combination machine. In their case, the head-stock lifted upwards in a piece, to become a 'pillar-drill' at 90 deg. (And most of the angles in between.) With one of those you didn't need a 'pocket-hole' jig! :lol:

Best of luck

John :)

Latest posts

Back