Stacking wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MargaretT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm having to downsize into my garage and trying to squeeze as much in as possible. I have lots of wood that I previous stacked flat but given the lack of floor space I was wondering if it was ok to stack it upright. It is mostly Oak and Elm planks averaging about 3 metres long x 30-40 cm x 40mm.
Can anyone advise if it's ok to keep them upright?

I think (but could be wrong) you have more chance of the wood warping but if the ends of the wood are stacked off the floor and spacing is between the boards I cannot see any reason why you could not stack them as such it still lets the air flow around them.
Cheers
Mark

Possibly worthy of consideration? Or not!
1. Lean too at the side of the garage allowing you to store your timber?
2. On a garage flat roof, box with opening end, air vents either end to store the wood.
3. On a garage pitched roof, access hatch on gable end allowing wood to be slotted in if fully trussed.

Be very careful of the dreaded woodworm especially in the elm.
Keep well off the floor (Where any damp will lay) concrete blocks on edge will do, (every 2 ft) and keep level, flat and in stick,(1"x 1" every 2 ft.
The timber needs a good air flow all round, so not tight, against a wall
Sorry to hear you're workshop loss and hope you are able to find a suitable substitute.
Regards Rodders

deema":3e4hk96y said:
Possibly worthy of consideration? Or not!
1. Lean too at the side of the garage allowing you to store your timber?
2. On a garage flat roof, box with opening end, air vents either end to store the wood.
3. On a garage pitched roof, access hatch on gable end allowing wood to be slotted in if fully trussed.

The garage does have a pitched roof and as there is no ceiling the trusses are open. I wasn't too sure about storing it on the trusses and as I'm only five foot it probably isn't very practical- but probably a good place for smaller pieces.
Thanks!

Back