Stable woods for shooting boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use stock that is quartersawn (or close), you'll get least movement.
I don't think that timber movement is going to be a huge issue with a shooting board - just build one and get using it :wink:
Hope this helps
Philly :D

As long as it's a hardwood and not pine, you won't go far wrong. With those kind of sections (2"x1" or less), you're unlikely to have any movement issues, as long as the timber's been seasoned.

Hedge,makes wonderful whatevers...very hard,last forever,cheap here grows wild everywhere....I have a few mallets of Hedge.

Grinding One":2lfwm7w1 said:
Hedge,makes wonderful whatevers...very hard,last forever,cheap here grows wild everywhere....I have a few mallets of Hedge.

What was that film?.............

Ah yes............Lost in Translation.

G1, you'll have to give us a bit more of a clue than "Hedge". Over here, that isn't a species, it is a living boundary. My hedge has about 20 different species in it, none of which could ever be used for joinery.

Mike

He's mentioned Hedge as a timber before and I can't find any reference to it's species name. It seems differ as you move around the states. I suspect it's something like willow or even laburnum.

Osage Orange?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

Under "Cultivation"

and

"The heavy, close-grained yellow-orange wood is very dense and is prized for tool handles, treenails, fence posts, electrical insulators, and other applications requiring a strong dimensionally stable wood that withstands rot. Straight-grained osage timber (most is knotty and twisted) makes very good bows."

Back